Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: 984.2 Mechanical Inspector II / 984.3 Mechanical Inspector III
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$36.50 - $47.28 Hourly for the 984.2 level
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly for the 984.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We're looking for multiple Dimensional Inspectors. You will be responsible for inspection related procedures, techniques, and standards (Quality Assurance and ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and Tolerancing). You will set-up and employ an assortment of measuring tools, gages, and inspection data acquisition equipment. These positions are in the Manufacturing Engineering Section (MES) of the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the 984.2 or 984.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Set up and utilize a variety of moderately complex measuring tools, gauges, and inspection data acquisition equipment.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve routine inspection challenges and recommend solutions for moderately complex technical problems.
- Provide inspection and Quality Assurance related documentation that clearly defines and evaluates the measured data for parts and assemblies.
- Provide clear and professional communication to customers including basic analysis and interpretation of inspection data.
- Consistently apply sound quality control methods in a professional and efficient way.
- Under general supervision, make routine decisions and solve moderately complex technical problems with minimal supervisor input.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 984.3 level
- Set-up, utilize, and provide technical direction and training for others on a wide variety of advanced inspection practices, setups and computerized data acquisition equipment, inspection processes, machine controllers and operation.
- Identify, analyze, and resolve advanced inspection challenges and recommend solutions for complex technical problems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- AA degree in Machine Tool Technology, Quality Control or Manufacturing Technology, or equivalent completion of an apprenticeship program in the machinist/inspector trade, or the equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Intermediate knowledge and experience using all conventional machine tools as well as a variety of CMM and precision inspection tools required by assigned job location.
- Intermediate level technical skills, knowledge, and experience in inspection related procedures, techniques, and standards (Quality Assurance and ASME Y14.5 Dimensioning and tolerancing).
- Intermediate understanding of inspection and metrology related methods. QA standards, tools, and equipment including computerized controllers and related technology.
- Understanding of safety awareness and safe working practices.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Verbal and written communication skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively in a technical environment.
- Self-motivated with the ability to work independently, under general supervision, in a team environment and in close cooperation with MED team members, engineering and facility support personnel.
Additional qualifications at the 984.3 level
- Advanced journey level experience equivalent to completion of an apprenticeship program in the inspection or machinist trade with extensive inspection experience including demonstrated proficiency with precision inspection equipment and Quality Assurance.
- Advanced technical skills, knowledge, and experience in precision inspection related procedures, standards, and techniques on a wide variety of precision inspection equipment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience programming and operating Coordinate Measuring Machines (CMM’s).
- Experience using PC data file management (e.g., Excel, ASCII, DMIS, IGES, VDA, STL).
- Experience in CAD/CAM programming and with Machine Tool Metrology.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.