Mechanical Technologist - NIF LASE Group
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical / 533.3 Sr Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$36.50 - $47.28 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist to provide technical support to the National Ignition Facility (NIF) Laser & Alignment Systems Engineering Group (LASE). You will develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with mechanical systems. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require overtime, shift, and/or weekends to accomplish goals. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Perform precision alignment of structural and laser system components using state of the art laser tracking equipment.
- Provide 3D mesh data to verify CAD modeling using state of the art 3D scanning equipment.
- Fabricate, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex mechanical components and systems.
- Perform standard machine shop practices; milling machine, metal lathe, vertical band saw and drill press.
- Acquire and analyze data and provide solutions and alternate approaches to moderately complex mechanical problems.
- Prepare and work from instructional guides for repairing, calibrating, operating, and maintaining equipment and systems, working under general supervision.
- Perform routine maintenance of moderately complex equipment.
- Provide general technical support to engineering tests, physics experiments, and program operations.
- Create moderately complex preliminary concepts and designs using CAD.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 level
- Independently deploy, fabricate, troubleshoot, assemble, and disassemble complex electro-mechanical components and systems, including planning and selecting materials, equipment, and methods independently, under minimal supervision.
- Assist in developing test parameters, troubleshooting, and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions under minimal supervision.
- Independently identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex electro-mechanical problems using individual creativity and judgment; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associates degree in an engineering technology such as mechanical, industrial, or manufacturing, or equivalent combination of education and related experience in a large, multi-beam laser operations environment.
- Experience with laser trackers or other 3D measurement techniques and software.
- Experience and fundamental knowledge in mechanical fabricating and/or assembly and intermediate MIG (metal inert gas) and TIG (tungsten inert gas) welding skills.
- Ability to create moderately complex preliminary concepts and designs using CAD.
- Intermediate skills and understanding of mechanical technologies and engineering hardware testing processes.
- Experience with moderately complex mechanical assembly, troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance in a large, multi-beam laser system in the areas of vacuum, radiation contamination control, pressure systems, conventional, or process utilities.
- Ability to solve moderately complex hardware or system challenges.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Effective written, verbal and presentation skills necessary to communicate tactfully and effectively. Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
- Ability to have shift flexibility to work overtime, shift, and/or weekends on occasion to accomplish goals as needed.
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 level
- Advanced skills and understanding of mechanical technologies and experience working on a technical project team and providing technical direction to others.
- Advanced technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and procedures while making recommendations as appropriate.
- Ability to develop test procedures, select materials, equipment, and methods independently, under minimal supervision.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.