Computational Astrophysics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Computational Astrophysics Postdoctoral Researcher who will work with a team of scientists to develop, run, and study results from large parallel simulations of stellar magnetospheres. Physical effects of interest include MHD turbulence, shocks, and magnetic reconnection. The research role will include the use of theory to connect simulations with stellar evolution models and astronomical observations.
In this role you will
- Set-up a large parallel ALE code to run simulations of stellar magnetospheres.
- Perform scaling studies to apply for additional computing time.
- Produce data to study MHD turbulence, shocks, and magnetic reconnection in stellar magnetospheres.
- Develop and apply statistical models to analyze simulation data and relate it to stellar evolution models and astronomical observations.
- Write high-quality software with adherence to professional best practices including using Git, unit testing, writing documentation, and benchmarking/validation.
- Maintain an awareness of technical literature in relevant areas, publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings (including internal progress meetings).
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Physics, Astronomy, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical field.
- Experience with the development of parallel codes, including MPI-Fortran, C++, and Git.
- Experience with running parallel codes on high-performance computing infrastructure.
- Ability to find innovative solutions to complex scientific and technical problems.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with stellar physics and stellar evolution modeling.
- Knowledge of plasma physics.
- Knowledge of the theory of turbulence.
- Experience in mathematical or statistical modeling.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.