Atmospheric Instrumentation Experimentalist- Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/14/2023
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to operate and conduct independent research using our suite of atmospheric instrumentation in support of our wind energy projects. This position is in the Atmospheric Science Research and Applications Group within the Atmospheric, Earth, and Energy Division of the Physical and Life Science Directorate.
- Conduct research in atmospheric boundary layer meteorology, including research in wind energy through fieldwork and instrumentation.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in remote sensing to answer science questions for wind energy applications, including operating our profiling and scanning lidars
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research field campaigns, including onshore and offshore wind energy
- Work with atmospheric modelers to provide data and data analysis for model validation
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research in journal publications and at professional conferences.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Travel to and independently conduct fieldwork at offsite locations
- Perform other duties as assigned
- PhD in atmospheric science, meteorology, mechanical engineering, geography, or similar field.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: wind profiling lidar, field campaign planning and execution, boundary layer meteorology, data analysis
- Demonstrated ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Demonstrated proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Demonstrated initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to travel to out of state fieldwork locations
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with wind energy research and the wind energy community
- Experience with atmospheric modeling or interest in learning this skill
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years, open to those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.