X-ray Crystallographer - Materials Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/13/2023
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$123,960.00 - $166,992 Annually for the SES.2 level
$148,650.00 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
We have an opening for a Materials Scientist with experience in X-ray diffraction (XRD) to perform a full range of moderately complex to complex research using X-ray scattering methods for the structural characterization of a diverse array of material systems. This research will require the use of laboratory-based and synchrotron x-ray facilities in support of a wide variety of projects at LLNL and will including working with hazardous materials, e.g., radioactive materials, beryllium, bio-materials. The position is within the Materials Characterization Group of the Materials Science Division (MSD) in the Physical and Life Sciences (PLS) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 level or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct moderately complex to complex materials characterization using a range of X-ray scattering techniques, including powder and single crystal diffraction, in support of a range of projects and programs at LLNL.
- Contribute to the installation, commissioning, and implementation of in situ capabilities for use on advance X-ray scattering devices, e.g., temperature stages, humidity chambers, tensile stages, liquid/electrochemical cells, and automatic sample changing systems.
- Perform routine maintenance of X-ray diffraction/scattering systems including conducting interlock checks, write and maintain safety documentation, and upgrade equipment and software when required.
- Prepare written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results.
- Present research findings to project principle investigators and colleagues, as well as sponsors and customers.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the development and implementation strategies to achieve a high throughput of samples in the X-ray diffraction and scattering laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 level
- Develop, commission, and/or implement new capabilities for materials characterization using the XRD and ultra-small angle scattering ((U)SAXS) instruments at LLNL, e.g., operando or environmental cells.
- Serve as the primary technical contact on specific projects for LLNL customers.
- Assist LLNL staff in planning and coordinating sample preparation and characterization across laboratories within the Materials Characterization Center of MSD.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- BS/BA in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Engineering Technology, Engineering Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, or Physics or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Broad understanding of basic X-ray interactions with matter and general analytical methods.
- Broad experience in the application of X-ray instruments for the structural characterization of a range of materials systems, e.g., powder diffractometers, single crystal diffractometers, back-reflection Laue cameras and/or small angle x-ray scattering.
- Broad understanding in the use of software packages for data analysis.
- Experience or knowledge of the routine and preventative maintenance programs of X-ray equipment.
- Experience operating computers to collect, analyze, and document scientific results.
- Ability to work independently, as well as a member of a team across multiple projects.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research and development environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience in advanced XRD concepts and techniques.
- Significant experience in the design, commissioning, and/or implementation of operando and environmental cell capabilities for use with laboratory- or synchrotron-based XRD or (U)SAXS facilities for materials characterization under dynamic conditions.
- Significant experience in a broad range of materials characterization methods, including a theoretical understanding of techniques and limitations of the underlying processes and equipment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in the use of X-ray diffraction and/or scattering beamlines at a synchrotron source(s).
- Experience supporting activities within a service center or user facility
- Experience in the application of (U)SAXS techniques for the characterization of material structure.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity
- Our core beliefs - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/our-values
- Employee engagement - visit https://www.llnl.gov/diversity/employee-engagement
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.