Deputy Assurance Manager - Active Security Clearance Required
Engineering | livermore, CA | 01/23/2023
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is important for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$136,500 - $183,888 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Deputy Assurance Manager. You will work with the Engineering Associate Directorate (AD) and the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Associate Directorate (PAD) to provide independent guidance and oversight of Environmental, Safety and Health (ES&H), Security, Contract Assurance and Quality programs for Engineering's Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) and WCl's Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program. Responsibilities include developing, implementing, and managing plans and procedures to provide assurance that all division and program activities are performed in compliance with Engineering, WCI, and LLNL/LLNS policies as well as federal, state, and local laws and regulations working with programmatic managers and assurance personnel for support of organizational facilities and operations. This position is in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Provide oversight of DTED and WTE operations and facilities to assure implementation of LLNL ES&H, Security, Contract Assurance and Quality programs, including leading and conducting Management Self-Assessments (MSAs), Management Observation and Inspections (MOls), and internal audits
- Serve as a team member in LLNL's Nuclear Enterprise Assurance (NEA) activities and serve on multi-site committees, representing LLNL on the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) NEA Integration Working Group (NIWG) in collaboration and coordination with LLNL's NEA Program Manager.
- Manage incident/accident/event reviews and related reports by analyzing incidents, security infractions to help determine Occurrence Reporting and Processing System (ORPS) thresholds or local reportability levels; provide guidance to line managers in preparation, filing and updating occurrence and noncompliance reports.
- Oversee creation and implementation of Corrective Action Plans (CAP); lead, co-lead, or participate in Root Cause Analysis/critiques/effectiveness/Extent of Condition reviews, often including Human Performance Improvement (HPI) Analysis reports.
- Address and resolve institutional and cross-organizational policy and procedure issues through interaction with other Assurance Managers across LLNL.
- Manage and oversee DTED and WTE applicable Issues Tracking System (ITS--DevonWay) corrective action items to ensure complete closure in a timely manner; on behalf of WTE, negotiate extensions with LFO, WCI PAD and Management Assurance System (MAS) Office, as appropriate.
- Teach Organizational Training Requirement (OTR) LTRAIN module related to LLNL and programmatic security policies and procedures; ensure materials are kept current as rules change.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor's degree in science, chemistry, engineering or a related technical/science discipline, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of safety and security policies, procedures, regulations, and standards coupled with programmatic operation for the safe and secure execution of work scope.
- Significant application of safety and security knowledge in performing self-assessments, audits, inspections, management reviews related to assurance oversight and compliance.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Nuclear Enterprise Assurance programmatic goals and mission objectives.
- Effective problem-solving skills and independent judgment to develop approaches to resolve difficult issues.
- Advanced communication, negotiation, collaboration, and interpersonal skills at the technical level necessary to effectively present and communicate to staff, senior management, and on occasion, to Livermore Field Office (LFO), NNSA/HQ and other state and government agencies.
- Experience with use and programming of relational databases, use of statistical or metric reports, software and development of meaningful statistics for program planning, trending and causal analysis.
- Ability to travel to sites across the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE).
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced knowledge of NEA activities, specifically in developing and implementing programmatic Operational Security (OPSEC) plans and Critical Information Lists (CIL).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.