Electronics Technologist, NIF Cross Timing
Engineering | livermore, CA | 12/20/2022
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$36.50 - $47.28 Hourly for the 531.2 level
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly for the 531.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have multiple openings for Electronics Technologist/Senior Electronics Technologists. You will develop, deploy, and maintain moderately complex laser electro-optic instrumentation for use on the National Ignition Facility (NIF), the world’s most powerful and energetic laser facility. Given an electronics foundation, we will train you up on the specifics needed for the NIF cross timing system which consists of over 1800 trigger channels and 400 optical timing markers that are distributed throughout a facility which is approximately one football field long and three football fields wide. This position will challenge your technical problem-solving skills and require regular collaboration with engineers and high-level technical personnel. NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require on call, overtime, shift, and/or weekends to accomplish goals. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Coordinate with external and internal work units for hardware fabrication and qualification support.
- Apply engineering principles for the operational verification of cross-timing designs, including hardware prototypes, offline tests fixtures, acquisition systems and software integration.
- Perform periodic maintenance activities on the cross-timing system, including troubleshooting, data analysis, data archiving, and test report preparation.
- Work with stakeholders to perform a variety of developmental and experimental tasks.
- Interact with a large computer control system, through graphical user interfaces (GUIs).
- Prepare, interpret data, and document test results, identify moderately complex problems, and suggest solutions.
- Develop documents such as procedures, one-line interconnect drawings and schematics.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office products including PowerPoint and Excel.
- Respond to abnormal events requiring troubleshooting which may also require overtime, shift and/or weekend-work or alternate work schedules.
- Effective written and verbal communication.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Interpret stakeholder requests for the development and qualification of timing diagrams, making recommendations as needed.
- Monitor moderately complex cross-timing performance and provide data to customers.
- Serve as technical main point contact for cross-timing system and respond in real-time off-normal events.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electronic Engineering Technology, Laser Electro-Optic Technology, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Intermediate skills, knowledge, and abilities of electronics theory, including analog and digital circuitry.
- Ability to understand, test, characterize and deploy fiber optic technology designs.
- General skills with a range of laboratory test equipment including oscilloscopes, digital multi-meters, signal generators, power supplies, spectrum analyzers, optical time-domain reflectometer (OTDRs) and energy meters.
- Ability to read schematics, independently troubleshoot and repair equipment to the component level, and contribute to circuitry enhancements.
- Effective written and verbal communication and strong presentation skills.
- Ability to climb stairs, lift equipment, or stand for long periods of time and the ability to work in Beryllium and radiologically areas.
- Ability to work overtime, shift and/or weekend or alternate work schedules.
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced understanding of and experience with electronic and/or electro-optics technology including theory, design, and component-to-system understanding.
- High level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve moderately complex to complex problems in a large laser operations environment.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, feedback, and teamwork skills and abilities, and experience providing technical direction to others.
Qualifications We Desire
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology.
- Experience with operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of electronics and/or photonics systems.
- Experience with research laser and fiber optic systems.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.