Inorganic Analytical Chemist - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 12/15/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
$148,650 - $200,328 Annually
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including education, experience, the external labor market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for an Inorganic Analytical Chemist to analyze the chemical composition of actinide materials. You will conduct a full range of complex efforts in actinide materials characterization. Your primary efforts will be to support and drive the characterization of actinide materials (primarily Pu) through an expanding set of instrumental analysis techniques within a nuclear facility environment. This position is in the Plutonium Science and Technology group within the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct advanced actinide analytical chemistry research and serve as the primary technical contact to meet sponsor needs in actinide materials characterization.
- Provide Pu characterization experiences/insights to help refine team planning efforts and develop compliant technical solutions to highly complex operational issues related to actinide materials characterization.
- Use established work control procedures, and develop new ones where needed, to drive highly complex instrumental techniques.
- Perform hands-on work in gloveboxes and other contamination enclosures within a nuclear facility environment.
- Conduct complex sample preparation and actinide material characterization efforts using a range of instrumental techniques (ICP-MS, ICP-ES, TIMS, titration, etc.)
- Prepare written analyses, verbal briefings, and other presentations that capture and communicate team results.
- Perform work in a small-team environment, with extensive cross-disciplinary interactions amongst colleagues, other teams, facility operations, etc.
- Mentor other analysts and support staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s in Chemistry, Geochemistry, Forensics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced understanding of analytical chemistry and/or materials characterization techniques, such as multi-element instrumental analyses (mass spectroscopy and emission spectroscopy), TIMS, titrimetry, etc.
- Ability and drive to learn new techniques and independently advance lab characterization efforts and capabilities.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative environment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain fissile material handler certification.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Chemistry, Geochemistry, Forensics, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in actinide materials characterizations and operations within a highly regulated environment
- Knowledge of state-of-art analytical instrumentation and testing of nuclear materials.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision.
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a request.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.