Material Degradation Characterization Postdoctoral Researcher
Engineering | livermore, CA | 09/08/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct experimental research focusing on embrittlement, corrosion, and oxidation of refractory metal alloys. You will actively participate in research to evaluate material degradation during brazing and welding processes using a variety of thermo-mechanical testing techniques, including but not limited tensile, torsion, lap-shear testing, TGA, dilatometry. You will operate in multi-disciplinary research setting with other staff engineers, material scientists, and technicians to design experiments, conduct research, and analyze results. Research will be expected to disseminate research finding with internal colleagues and external academic/scientific community through peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations. This position is in the Materials Engineering Division (MED) of the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in the area of brazing and welding processes.
- Design, implement, and analyze experiments to assess and characterize embrittlement, corrosion, and oxidation of refractory metal alloys.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment both at LLNL and in other national laboratories and universities to accomplish research goals.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of engineers and scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Material Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related fields.
- Experience with material characterization, including but not limited to thermo-mechanical analysis of metals, metal alloys, or ceramics (DSC, TGA, DTA, dilatometry).
- Experience with metallographic characterization techniques, including but not limited to SEM, EBSD, texture/grain analysis.
- Experience with evaluating structure-property-process relationships of metal alloys or ceramics.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with brazing, reactive sintering.
- Experience or familiarity with material degradation during brazing, soldering, or welding processes, such as liquid metal embrittlement or corrosion.
- Experience with non-destructive evaluation techniques, such as resonant ultrasound spectroscopy, pulse-echo, and eddy current measurements.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing candidates and employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value and hire a diverse workforce as it is a vital component of our culture and success. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
At LLNL, our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.