Refine Search Clear All
Packaging & Transportation Regulatory SME - Flex Term
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 05/16/2022
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Packaging & Transportation (P&T) Regulatory Subject Matter Expert (SME) to provide comprehensive P&T support to LLNL programs and operations requiring a broad application of practices and regulatory requirements and to monitor compliance within P&T activities occurring across LLNL which include many different types of hazardous materials (e.g. nuclear, radioactive, high explosives, chemical, biological, etc.). In this role you will work within the P&T Safety Functional Area (PTSFA) to assist the PTSFA Manager with regulatory interpretation, institutional development of PTSFA procedures, and flow down of requirements to Work Control Documents (WCDs) for activities that contain P&T tasks. This position is in the PTSFA within the ES&H Directorate but will be matrixed to and co-located full-time with the Soils Team in the Technical Services Department.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Interpret regulatory requirements related to DOE Orders 460.1D, 460.2A, 461.1C, 414.1 and 49 CFR Parts 100-185 Hazardous Material Regulations and Parts 350-399 Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations in support of the Packaging and Transportation Safety Functional Area (PTSFA).
- Independently assist operations organizations with the implementation of P&T requirements in work authorization/control documents, this includes but is not limited to the following: review of work authorization/control documents, walk-downs of work areas, observation of work activities and creation of control sets for P&T activities/operations.
- Perform assessments/inspections of organizations to ensure adequate implementation and understanding of P&T requirements.
- Interact with LLNL research scientists, engineers, program managers, on program and cross-organizational P&T compliance issues/questions.
- Interact with LLNL research scientists, engineers, project leaders and program managers with respect to providing coordination of P&T projects associated with LLNL Transition and Disposition activities.
- Review PTSFA, institutional and programmatic documents and procedures for technical accuracy and compliance with regulatory issues and make change recommendations as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level
- Guide the successful completion of projects, contributes to the development of organizational goals and exerts significant influence on major organizational goals.
- Direct highly complex technical tasks, projects and contribute to multi-disciplinary teams to solve P&T issues.
- Represent PTSFA as the primary customer contact and technical resource on tasks and projects.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in scientific, technical, health and safety, or related field, or the equivalent combination of education, skills and related technical experience.
- Proficient verbal, written, and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment when reviewing and evaluating documents and present and explain technical/regulatory or operational information.
- Effective organizational skills with detail orientation necessary to coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting concurrent tasks/projects in an environment with frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow-through.
- Knowledge of local, State and Federal regulations such as the Department of Energy (DOE), Department of Transportation (DOT), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), International Air Transport Association (IATA) or the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) and other consensus standards.
- Experience using independent judgement, decision-making, creative and innovative problem-solving skills in order to develop solutions to a diverse range of moderate to complex issues in operational areas with respect to implementation of regulatory requirements and coordination of P&T operations projects in support of T&D projects at LLNL.
- Experience performing assessments of operations for compliance with work instructions, institutional requirements and local, state and federal regulations.
- Experience applying regulatory knowledge to operational situations.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level
- Experience responding to hazardous materials packaging and transportation emergencies and incidents on site, participate in the investigation of P&T incidents or accidents involving hazardous materials and make recommendations for corrective actions related to these incidents or accidents.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate in a team environment for synergy. Present and communicate complex technical information to all levels of management, laboratory personnel, regulatory agencies, and key stakeholders.
- Project management skills necessary to coordinate high volume operations related to P&T as they support T&D operations at LLNL.
Qualifications We Desire
- DOT HAZMAT certification, IATA certification and FMCSA Motor Carrier certification with experience shipping radioactive and/or explosive materials.
- Experience utilizing project management tools and processes to coordinate support to multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience applying various Human Performance Improvement tools for both individuals and work teams (e.g., procedure use and adherence, place-keeping, pre-job briefings, etc.).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.