Refine Search Clear All
Cryogenics - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/16/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Research Scientist to conduct operations and research in the areas of low temperature physics and condensed hydrogen. You will actively participate in the research and development and advanced process development in areas such as solid hydrogen crystal growth for Inertial Confinement Fusion applications, and various characterization methods and be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team in the LLNL Targets group support. Targets are intricate assemblies of numerous finely manufactured components and are comprised of the essential elements of experiments on high energy density (HED) plasma generating systems such as the National Ignition Facility (NIF). Consequently, they raise many interesting challenges whose resolution requires a combination of materials physics and engineering as well as metrology science with a strong sense of real-world implementation of reliable new processes. This position is in the NIF Optics and Materials Group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Design and conduct advanced cryogenic experiments with condensed hydrogens and other critical Targets related tasks that drive the program forward.
- Develop optical, X-ray, or other non-contact characterization methods.
- Develop software scripts to perform these experiments and test specific image processing and feature detection algorithms.
- Collaborate in the design, modeling, and analysis of laboratory experiments and develop experimental apparatus, advanced measurement instrumentation, and procedures as required.
- Collaborate with scientists in multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Document research and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Physics, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant experience with cryogenic experiments and/or vacuum hardware.
- Advanced programming experience in C, C++ or languages (such as Matlab, Python).
- Familiarity with optics and X-ray phase contrast and related techniques and image analysis principles.
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution, and willingness to work on a variety of projects and learn new techniques.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures, writing reports, publications, and proposals.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working in the fields of crystal growth techniques, surface science, or related fields.
- Significant experience in nucleation and crystal growth science.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.