Refine Search Clear All
Materials Research Scientist / Engineer
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/16/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Materials Scientist or Engineer to perform a full range of complex research in the area of optical materials. You will actively participate with and be an integral member of a team responsible for developing new methods to synthesize, fabricate, finish, and characterize cutting edge optical materials for use in cutting-edge laser systems, including the National Ignition Facility. This position is in the Optics & Target Materials group within the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Conduct advanced research in optical materials ranging from fundamental studies to device integration.
- Independently develop methods for optical materials synthesis, fabrication, finishing, or characterization for bulk, thin film, and/or fiber optics.
- Design, execute, and analyze hypothesis-driven experiments starting from fundamental materials science and engineering principles.
- Provide solutions to unusual, complex, and/or sensitive technical challenges where the solution path is not known.
- Develop and present written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Collaborate with other scientists, technicians, engineers, and managers in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals and provide solutions to problems with moderate complexity.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Independently provide broad consultative/strategic direction for projects.
- Lead the development of new research topics and concepts from proposal through project execution.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Ph.D. in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant experience in designing, conducting, and analyzing experimental data in the field of materials science.
- Advanced knowledge of materials physics, chemistry, and/or engineering.
- Significant experience with one or more of the following: optical materials, sol-gel chemistry, surface science, ceramics processing, and/or semiconductor or wide bandgap materials.
- Ability to work independently, as well as a member of a team.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to technical colleagues and management.
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research and development environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Recognized expertise in materials science, materials engineering, or related field.
- Established publication record in materials science, materials engineering, or related field.
- Ability to attract funding and lead projects of moderate to high complexity.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ability to use theory, simulation, or scientific computing to complement experimental skills.
- Experience with laser-matter interactions for either material characterization or application testing.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.