Refine Search Clear All
High Energy Density Science - Postdoctoral Researcher
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 05/16/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the field of astrophysics. You will apply semiclassical and quantum mechanical methods to calculate nonideal density effects on opacity in white dwarf atmospheres, including atom-atom correlations. We are interested in candidates wishing to pursue research in the intersection between astrophysics, quantum mechanics, plasma science, and statistical mechanics. This position is in the Theory and Modeling group, High Energy Density Science Section of the Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Design and program a multidimensional quantum mechanical solver to calculate bound-free oscillator strengths.
- Develop semiclassical approximations to continuum wavefunctions in Coulombic systems.
- Advance the current state of the art in modeling opacity in dense plasma systems.
- Publish research results in external peer-reviewed scientific journals and participate in international conferences.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Pursue independent (but complementary) research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Theoretical Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy, or a related field.
- Experience creating computational software.
- Experience solving partial differential equations.
- Demonstrated ability to publish original research in peer-reviewed journals.
- Ability to work independently on technical tasks, influence technical objectives, to provide in depth analysis, and develop unique technical solutions.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists and other technical and administrative staff.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment, prepare written reports, and present technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with semiclassical methods for approximating solutions to quantum mechanical systems.
- Experience numerically solving for quantum mechanical wavefunctions.
- Knowledge of plasma and/or white dwarf physics.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.