Refine Search Clear All
Automation Hardware Engineer, Optics & Materials Science & Technology
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/13/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Automation Hardware Engineers. You will be responsible for developing and implementing process automation hardware used in the Optics & Materials Science & Technologies (OMST) facilities that support the National Ignition Facility (NIF). You will provide engineering solutions throughout all phases of the systems development processes. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide electrical and controls engineering solutions for design, assembly, calibration, troubleshooting, and testing of electrical and control systems, contributing, and functioning as a part of the team.
- Execute electrical and controls engineering for fielding new and upgraded optics processing and metrology equipment in support of NIF using readily identifiable factors, standard techniques, and methods.
- Perform subsystem tests using standard test equipment that may involve laser systems, optical systems, chemical systems, oscilloscopes, and the integration of these types of systems into optics processing and metrology equipment.
- Contribute to the development of procedures for electrical installation, test, and operation.
- Design hardware and software components in support of larger systems while working under general direction.
- Ensure all fielded equipment is certified safe to use before powering up.
- Travel to vendor sites to support equipment or provide upgrades. Travel is anticipated to be less than 25%.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Oversee the quality of and make corrections to the design of the moderately complex to complex automation hardware with limited direction.
- Develop sub-system designs and architectures of automation hardware and integrate them into complex, existing systems, utilizing broadly defined parameters.
- Respond to failures of complex production equipment and develop and oversee troubleshooting plans to return the system to operation with minimal oversight.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and previously relevant experience.
- Knowledge of fundamental electrical engineering design concepts related to assembly, calibration, troubleshooting, and testing of electrical machine control systems that are well defined.
- Knowledge of industrial instrumentation and controls.
- Experience with reading and interpreting mechanical and electrical specifications of limited complexity using drawings and procedure manuals.
- Fundamental knowledge of analog and digital circuit design.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Ability to translate customer requirements into moderately complex to complex control systems hardware and software specifications that may be broadly defined.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in the performance analysis and tuning of process control systems including technical troubleshooting for involved hardware and software; includes experience in the design of analog and digital circuits relating to controls and data acquisition.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, or a related field.
- Experience with programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
- Experience developing human machine interfaces (HMIs).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.