Refine Search Clear All
Nuclear Structure and Reaction Theory - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 05/10/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher to conduct innovative research at the intersection of nuclear structure theory and nuclear reaction theory, with applications to ongoing and planned experiments. You will participate in the development of an integrated structure and reaction theory for medium-mass and heavy nuclei. This research will build on recent advances in low-energy nuclear theory and take advantage of LLNL’s high-performance computational capabilities. Responsibilities include formalism and code development, calculations of nuclear structure and reaction properties, as well as collaborating with scientists performing related theoretical and experimental research.
This position is in the Nuclear Data & Theory group of the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will:
- Contribute to and actively participate in the development and implementation of an integrated theory framework capable of predicting nuclear reaction outcomes.
- Generalize existing theoretical descriptions of nuclear reactions to allow for an improved treatment of a broad range of medium-mass and heavy nuclei.
- Test, extend, integrate, and write new codes to achieve a reliable computational implementation of the new formalism.
- Design and carry out applications demonstrating the new framework.
- Engage in collaborations both within the Nuclear Data and Theory group and with external researchers.
- Document research and prepare results for publications in peer-reviewed journals.
- Present research results in scientific meetings, peer reviews, and publications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in theoretical physics or closely related field.
- Experience in theoretical nuclear physics, applied to low-energy nuclear structure and/or nuclear reaction phenomena.
- Ability to critically assess nuclear theory formalism and develop improvements and/or extensions.
- Experience developing computer software for theoretical physics problems.
- Expertise in Fortran, C, C++, Python, or equivalent computer programming languages.
- Initiative and ability to perform independent research and find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Interpersonal skill, desire, and ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively present and explain results of scientific research in presentations at seminars, meetings, and journal publications.
Qualifications we desire
- Familiarity with mean-field and beyond mean-field methods in nuclear physics.
- Familiarity with low-energy nuclear reaction physics.
- Experience with high-performance computing, with working knowledge of programming using MPI and/or OpenMP or similar methods.
- Record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and experience presenting research results at conferences and/or invited seminars.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.