Refine Search Clear All
NIF Laser and Laser Diagnostics Systems Lead
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/10/2022
Job Code: SEL.4 Science & Engineering TSL 4 / SEL.5 Science & Engineering TSL 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for National Ignition Facility Laser and Laser Diagnostics Systems Managers to lead the Lasers and Laser Diagnostics Teams for the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will lead the teams that are responsible for running and maintaining the advanced laser systems and laser diagnostics for the world’s largest laser system with 192 beams to conduct experiments in High Energy Density Physics, Laser Fusion and Ignition, and National Security. In this role you will also be responsible for improving laser technology and implementing new capabilities to further increase NIF’s power, energy, and precision. NIF is the flagship experimental facility of the National Nuclear Security Administration within the Department of Energy. These positions will be in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division of the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams consisting of 10 or more team members that operate, maintain, and improve NIF laser systems, including the Master laser oscillators and pulse shaping systems, 48 complex preamplifiers, advanced laser diagnostics, wavefront control systems, the precision pulse timing, and new and advanced laser systems such as the world’s highest energy short pulse laser - Advanced Radiographic Capability (ARC) - and highest energy deep UV laser for Optical Thomson Scattering (OTS).
- Provide overall technical, safety, security, and leadership of the NIF Laser and Laser Diagnostics Operations and Process groups.
- Work in conjunction with Laser Science & System Engineering group to define and propose strategies and requirements for analyzing and improving laser performance including establishing objectives and allocating resources.
- Conduct technical assessment of the design, prototype, and testing of new concepts for advancing NIF laser capabilities.
- Lead commissioning of laser enhancement and new laser capabilities which may include oversight of budgeting, workforce planning, and scheduling as well as tracking project milestones.
- Monitor the effectiveness of preventive maintenance and repair procedures, track response and downtime associated with equipment problems, and provide quarterly reliability and availability reports to management.
- Work under consultative direction, making technical judgements to determine and pursue methods and techniques essential to obtain desired solutions.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SEL.5 level
- Responsible for championing significant NIF systems upgrades.
- Provide oversight of involved project costs and budgets.
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior management and serve as an organization spokesperson
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Laser and Electro-Optics, Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or an equivalent combination of education or previous relevant experience.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of systems engineering relating to laser and electro-optical systems and significant experience using computer control and data acquisition systems.
- Significant experience performing experiments with laser electro-optics, or mechanical technology in support of high energy laser systems, including theory, design, and application.
- Ability to recognize and decipher highly complex technical data, independently, under consultative direction.
- Significant experience leading teams of 25 or more subject matter experts from varying backgrounds, which may include leading through leaders that report into you.
- Significant experience effectively managing multiple tasks, projects, and priorities and associated budgets & schedules.
- Significant experience working on large-scale laser system operations, maintenance, or production support.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to lead a team, present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Additional qualifications at the SEL.5 level
- Expert knowledge of high peak power/high energy laser systems.
- Extensive experience championing, leading, and developing innovative laser operations.
- Extensive experience guiding and providing strategic direction for projects to a diverse group of engineers and technicians.
Qualifications We Desire
- Advanced degree in Laser and Electro-optics or related field.
- Experience in laser engineering, laser performance characterization, optical, optomechanical, and electro-optical design.
- Experience with workforce and project planning on large-scale laser system operations, maintenance, or production support.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.