Refine Search Clear All
National Security Systems Analyst
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/09/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking highly qualified Engineers to join our interdisciplinary team of National Security Systems Analysts supporting a variety of application areas such as Critical Infrastructure Resilience, Cyber Security, Intelligence Analysis, Energy Systems, and Climate Resilience. You will apply a combination of technical depth and breadth, critical thinking, modeling and simulation, and analysis to understand complex, multi-domain problem areas and provide decision insight, communicate options and trade-offs, and facilitate the integration of new technology in support of customer missions. National Security Systems Analysts often serve to integrate across research and development teams and work directly with operational organizations. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED).
These positions will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop well-defined analytical questions and plans to provide decision insights to stakeholders on complex, challenging, and ambiguous infrastructure resilience problems.
- Develop analytical models, tools, and frameworks to characterize and assess key infrastructure resilience-related issues, such as infrastructure interdependencies, system-level impacts from natural hazards and intelligent adversary attacks, or risk cost-benefit of various technology or operational solutions.
- Develop, evaluate, and apply physical and computational simulations to gain insight into complex infrastructure systems.
- Develop innovative and creative methods that leverage tools from a breadth of established disciplines such as systems engineering, decision analysis, risk analysis, applied statistics and optimization, and other related fields.
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers across a variety of technical disciplines, such as cybersecurity, physical security, natural hazards, and infrastructure systems.
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met, while working independently with minimal direction within the scope of the assignment.
- Communicate complex technical concepts to stakeholders in a concise and effective way.
- Routinely interact with technical contacts at sponsor and partner organizations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Lead multiple diverse, technical teams in executing projects and tasks while balancing priorities of customers and partners to ensure deadlines are met.
- Lead other LLNL scientists and engineers to operationalize research and development advancements for LLNL national security programs.
- Serve as point of contact for program managers at sponsor and partner organizations.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Ph.D. degree in engineering (mechanical, electrical, industrial, chemical, civil, or systems), computer sciences (data or information science), operations research, or related fields, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in one or more of the following areas: infrastructure systems, energy systems, cyber security, physical security, intelligence analysis, or other related discipline.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in defining research questions and scoping defensible methods and approaches.
- Broad experience presenting technical concepts to diverse audiences. Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and author products targeted to a variety of stakeholders.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience with one or more of the following computational disciplines: risk analysis, decision analysis, data analytics, statistical modeling, modeling and simulation, control system design, or other related discipline.
- Broadly demonstrated analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Expertise one or more of the following areas: infrastructure systems, energy systems, cyber security, physical security, intelligence analysis, or other related discipline.
- Expertise in the application and development in one or more of the following areas: risk analysis, systems analysis, decision analysis, data analytics, statistical modeling, modeling and simulation, control system design, or other related discipline.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Advanced expertise in leading diverse, technical teams to execute projects.
Qualifications We Desire
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience in design, operations, or modeling of infrastructure systems, particularly transportation networks and logistics, chemical processing, water and wastewater systems, communications networks, or interdependencies among these systems.
- Broad experience in managing multiple concurrent projects.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad experience building models and running simulations using one or more of the following programming tools: Python, Simulink, R, MATLAB, Java or C++.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
Equal Employment Opportunity
California Privacy Notice