Refine Search Clear All
National Security Systems Analyst - Experienced
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/09/2022
Job Code: SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking highly qualified engineers to join our interdisciplinary team of National Security Systems Analysts supporting a variety of application areas such as Critical Infrastructure Resilience, Cyber Security, Intelligence Analysis, Energy Systems, and Climate Resilience. You will lead efforts that apply a combination of technical depth and breadth, critical thinking, modeling and simulation, and analysis to understand complex, multi-domain problem areas and provide decision insight, communicate options and trade-offs, and facilitate the integration of new technology in support of customer missions. National Security Systems Analysts often serve to integrate across research and development teams and work directly with operational organizations. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED).
In this role you will
- Lead teams to develop well-defined analytical questions and plans to provide decision insights to stakeholders on complex, challenging, and ambiguous infrastructure resilience problems.
- Lead teams to develop novel analytical models, tools, and frameworks to characterize and assess key infrastructure resilience-related issues, such as infrastructure interdependencies, system-level impacts from natural hazards and intelligent adversary attacks, or risk cost-benefit of various technology or operational solutions.
- Lead teams to develop, evaluate, and apply novel frameworks and physical and computational simulations to derive insights on complex, interdependent infrastructure systems.
- Leverage deep technical expertise and/or experience to develop defensible, innovative, and creative methods of applying tools from established disciplines such as systems engineering, decision analysis, risk analysis, applied statistics and optimization, and other related fields.
- Lead and develop diverse teams of scientists and researchers from a variety of technical disciplines, such as cybersecurity, physical security, natural hazards, and infrastructure systems.
- Develop opportunities to operationalize research and development advancements for LLNL national security programs.
- Lead and manage supporting personnel who conduct analysis under your direct supervision.
- Communicate complex technical concepts to internal and external stakeholders in a concise and effective way.
- Develop new work with Federal, State, and commercial sponsors and partners in these areas.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD degree in engineering (mechanical, electrical, industrial, chemical, civil, or systems), computer sciences (data or information science), operations research, or related fields, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas: infrastructure systems, energy systems, cyber security, physical security, intelligence analysis, or other related discipline.
- Significant experience defining, scoping, and executing on analytical plans to address complex research or programmatic questions. Advanced analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Significant experience presenting technical concepts to diverse audiences. Proficient verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and communicate technical information, document work, and lead the creation of proposals and high-quality research papers.
- Significant experience with one or more of the following computational disciplines: risk analysis, systems analysis, decision analysis, data analytics, statistical modeling, modeling and simulation, control system design, or other related discipline.
- Significant experience managing interactions with leadership and building relationships with diverse stakeholders.
- Significant experience effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and implementing advanced research concepts in a multi-disciplinary team environment where commitments and deadlines are critical for program success.
- Significant experience coaching or mentoring staff on project teams.
- Ability to travel off-site for sponsor and customer interaction.
Qualifications We Desire
- Significant experience working with the Department of Homeland Security, Department of Energy, Intelligence Community, and/or the Department of Defense.
- Significant experience leading collaboration across government, research (university, laboratory) and/or commercial (industry) institutions.
- Significant experience working in design, operations, or modeling of critical infrastructure systems, particularly transportation networks and logistics, chemical processing, water and wastewater systems, communications networks, or interdependencies among these systems.
- Expertise with modeling and simulation or data analysis using one or more of the following programming tools: Python, Simulink, R, MATLAB, Java or C++.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.