Refine Search Clear All
Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Officer
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 05/09/2022
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Officer to provide comprehensive support for work activities involving non-ionizing radiation at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL). This position will be assigned to the Laser and Non-Ionizing Radiation Safety Office within the Safety Engineering Functional Area (SEFA) and will provide technical expertise and support to multiple clients as an integral member of the Environment, Safety, and Health (ES&H) Associate Directorate.
This position will be filled at the appropriate level based on knowledge and related experience, as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Serve as technical expert for establishment and implementation of non-ionizing radiation safety requirements within Integrated Safety Management (ISM) and ES&H programs.
- Review non-ionizing radiation systems and associated work activities for compliance and effectiveness.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of project and organizational goals while working under limited direction within the scope of assignment.
- Use independent judgment to develop approaches to solutions.
- Explore a variety of approaches within established practices and procedures, recommending and implementing improvements/processes as appropriate.
- Contribute to the fulfillment of project and organizational goals.
- Create and optimize non-ionizing radiation safety programmatic documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.3 level:
- Independently provide advanced guidance and support for complex, long-term projects within dynamic operational structure and facility.
- Provide solutions to complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis and frequent use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Stay apprised of regulations and DOE requirements and provide assessments on potential impacts to LLNL with any new requirements.
- Mentor less experienced Health and Safety personnel.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, engineering, safety, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and significant related experience.
- Experience and comprehensive knowledge of non-ionizing radiation, including ultraviolet light, infrared light, microwaves, radio frequencies, and magnetic fields.
- Knowledge and understanding of applicable safety rules and regulations, and the ability apply standards in a variety of work environments and applications.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain moderately complex technical or operational information.
- Analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend, and implement actions and solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail necessary to handle multiple moderately complex tasks in a demanding environment with conflicting priorities, tight and changing deadlines, and frequent interruptions while providing high-level customer service and good follow through.
- Experience working independently and in a team environment with a broad cross-section of people and organizations, managing complex projects, and meeting schedules.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 level:
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in non-ionizing radiation safety and implementing programmatic requirements in complex work environments.
- Advanced analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend, and implement actions/solutions for moderately complex problems.
- Experience managing safety and health programs and developing and tracking performance metrics and key performance indicators.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical or operational information and provide advice to management, regulators, reviewers, and stakeholders.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in science, engineering, safety, or related field.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in industrial safety and hygiene programs, such as material handling, hoisting and rigging, ventilation, electrical, lockout tagout, and chemical safety.
- Certification by a recognized accrediting organization, e.g., Certified Laser Safety Officer, Certified Safety Professionals (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Health Physicist (CHP).
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.