Refine Search Clear All
Electronics Technologist - Target Area Science & Engineering Optical Diagnostics
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/05/2022
Job Code: 531.2 Technologist-Electronics / 531.3 Sr Technologist-Electronics
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Electronics Technologist/Senior Electronics Technologist. You will develop, test, troubleshoot, evaluate, operate, and maintain experimental, research, and prototype equipment associated with electronic and/or photonics systems within the National Ignition Facility & Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate. NIF is the world’s most powerful and energetic laser that a 24/7 operational facility and may occasionally require on call, overtime, shift, and/or weekends to accomplish goals. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
The position will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Work from sketches, drawings, electronic schematics, verbal, or written instructions, and solve problems to the sub-system or component level.
- Provide support for fabrication, assemble, and disassemble moderately complex electronic and/or photonics components and systems.
- Provide electronics technical support using appropriate electronics test methods and test equipment.
- Acquire and analyze moderately complex data and test results using known performance parameters to report results and identify problems.
- Provide solutions and alternate approaches to moderately complex problems using individual creativity and judgment while working under general supervision.
- Update instructional guides for repairing, calibrating, fielding, and maintaining equipment and systems.
- Diagnose, debug, test, evaluate, design, upgrade, maintain, and repair moderately complex electronics systems, instrumentation, controls, data acquisition, and test equipment, including electronics fabrication and test.
- Contribute to moderately complex design concepts and engineering decision process.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Establish circuit or systems parameters using advanced electronics circuitry, scientific knowledge, engineering principles, and mathematical calculations. Write or interpret specifications used in crafting, maintaining, and calibrating complex electronic systems, chassis, or components.
- Independently identify, analyze, and provide solutions and alternate approaches to complex electronic and/or photonics problems using individual creativity and judgment; prioritize and provide work and technical guidance to others checking for accuracy, completeness, and function.
- Assist in developing test advanced parameters, troubleshooting and testing materials, components, or systems, identifying problems, and providing input on solutions.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in electronics technology or the equivalent combination of education and prior related experience.
- Intermediate skills, knowledge, and understanding of moderately complex electronic circuits and systems including assembly, fabrication, testing, maintenance, and repair functions.
- Experience with some aspect of electronic and/or photonics assembly; including troubleshooting, installation, and maintenance of instrumentation, diagnostics, laser system, or beam alignment.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Ability to lift 25 lbs. in a safe and controlled manner.
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced understanding and experience in complex electronics and/or photonics technology including a background in both theory and design and ability to establish or modify specifications while applying electronic knowledge to a breadth of electronic circuits and systems.
- High-level technical skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex problems, while gathering and analyzing associated data while working under minimal supervision.
- Effective communication, interpersonal, feedback, and teamwork skills and abilities, and experience providing technical direction to others.
Qualifications We Desire
- Bachelor of Science in Electronics Engineering Technology.
- Experience with operation, maintenance, and troubleshooting of electronics and/or photonics systems.
- Experience with high-speed, high-voltage low energy systems.
- Experience with research laser and fiber optic systems.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.