Refine Search Clear All
Semiconductor Laser Device Engineer, Senior
Engineering | livermore, CA | 05/02/2022
Job Code: SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4 / SES.5 Science & Engineering MTS 5
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Semiconductor Laser Device Engineer with subject matter expertise specifically in semiconductor laser diodes. You will define, develop, and deploy high power laser diode arrays. You will have an advanced understanding of semiconductor optoelectronics to specify, design, and oversee deployment of high-power laser diode arrays and work to determine requirements, set specifications and address array technology options including thermal management and electronic drivers. You will work with LLNL team members to expand the vision for continued development of diode laser technology. This position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division of the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical guidance, leadership, and supervision to team members with a focus on defining, developing, and deploying highly complex high-power diode laser pump arrays.
- Serve as a subject matter expert for high power laser diodes and opto-electronic components.
- Set broad research/project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others.
- Direct technical activities as needed to specify, procure, evaluate, and deploy commercially available laser diode arrays on LLNL systems.
- Conduct highly advanced research into novel approaches for enhancing laser diode technology in conjunction with both university and industrial partners.
- Design and direct highly complex experiments to characterize laser diode components.
- Assess novel pump laser concepts using optoelectronic, optical, and or thermal simulations.
- Provide training, mentoring, and coaching to group personnel and prepare and present written and verbal presentations of technical work.
- Plan and lead laser diode development projects in support of LLNL laser systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.5 level
- Assess technical direction of the vendor community, determine where LLNL needs are divergent from the community performing in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors.
- Mitigate the divergence from vendor community through the optimal combination of internal R&D efforts and by influencing the vendor community to pursue alternate strategies by using creative and innovative approaches.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s in Electrical Engineering or Physics, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Expert knowledge of and substantial experience with current state-of-the-art laser diodes, including semiconductor device physics (gain, cavity design, heterostructure charge transport) and device reliability physics.
- Expert knowledge of and experience with laser diode micro-optics, opto-electronic device packaging and knowledge of highly complex reliability engineering principles.
- Substantial experience with highly complex opto-electronic device simulation and laser diode characterization.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Substantial experience interacting and cooperating with all levels of technical staff, managers, and vendors.
- Leadership skills for leading and managing small, multi-disciplinary teams.
Additional qualifications at the SES.5 level
- Nationally recognized expertise in laser semiconductor design and experience with a creative and innovative approaches.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Physics. Experience with high power laser diode arrays, laser diode simulation software, laser diode current driver requirements, III-V semiconductor fabrication and materials technologies, and/or opto-electronic component packaging.
- Expert knowledge of and experience with characterization of compound semiconductor optoelectronic devices and materials
- Experience leading technical teams in design and development of semiconductor laser technologies
- Familiarity with the high-power laser diode industry or employment experience at an industrial manufacturer or end-user of laser diode components.
- Experience in writing technical specifications and statements of work.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.