Refine Search Clear All
Timing and Firing Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/26/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate has an opening for an Electrical Engineer Generalist. NSED works on a broad range of research and development projects in the areas of RF instrumentation, accelerators, networked sensor and space-based systems for national security missions. We have an opening for an Electrical Engineer who will help develop, design and implement analog and digital circuits for a wide range of research programs. You will be technically responsible for a range of duties including analog and digital electrical design, embedded programming, back end drivers, simulation, control applications and/or high power systems depending on your skill set and interests. You will produce system specifications, design documentation, simulated system performance, test plans, tested hardware and software, and participate in design reviews. You will interact with colleagues in team environments to execute these projects.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Have responsibility for deploying the Timing and Firing (T&F) system including shipment, installation, operational verification, and execution for Subcritical Experiments at National Nuclear Security Site (NNSS) using well defined parameters. Frequent travel to Nevada to support this work is required.
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary team of engineers and supervisors from different laboratories to develop Technical Work Procedures for set up, verification, operation, and execution of the T&F system.
- Be responsible for performing maintenance, debugging, repairing and calibration of the T&F system as needed using standard techniques and methods.
- Have responsibility for analyzing post shot results to verify explosive detonation and inform post experiment safety decisions.
- Develop detailed designs, perform circuit simulations to verify system performance, specify circuit components, oversee part fabrication and unit assembly while working under general direction.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Provide solutions and guidance to the testing of prototypes and associated diagnostics utilizing comprehensive knowledge of and broad experience with conceptual designs of electrical systems.
- Under limited direction work with teams to solve moderately complex to complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods.
- Interact with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to give technical guidance and complete various LLNL projects.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience with and fundamental knowledge of high voltage timing and firing system operation and execution process involving high explosive and various type of detonator and its diagnostics using readily identifiable factors.
- Fundamental knowledge of and experience with standard electrical equipment such as High Explosive Meter, Signal Generator, TDR and OTDR, Digital Scope, Optical Meters, High Pot Tester.
- Experience with grounding and shielding in high explosive working environment.
- Knowledge of fundamental electrical engineering concepts related to circuit design, assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems.
- Knowledge of SPICE or similar circuit simulation software and knowledge of technical computing (e.g., simulation development, signal and image processing) using platforms such as MATLAB or Python or Labview.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment effectively, contributing while working under general direction.
- Sufficient communication skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive experience in reading and interpreting moderately complex to complex mechanical, optical, and electrical specifications using drawings, datasheets, and procedure manuals.
- Broad experience with circuit design and testing completed hardware to verify functionality.
- Experience in conducting experiments of electrical configuration and settings, and the advanced application of timing and data acquisition systems.
- Experience and proficiency translating customer requirements into control systems hardware and software specifications.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with nuclear facility or LLNL documentation and approval process for experiment involving high explosive.
- Knowledge of LABVIEW for hardware control and instrumentation applications.
- Knowledge of design applications for high voltage systems.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.