Refine Search Clear All
Astrophysics & Advanced Diagnostics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 04/25/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher in the Astrophysics and Advanced Diagnostics Group of the Physics Division. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to participate in experimental campaigns at the Madison Symmetric Torus, with the goal of adapting microcalorimeter spectrometers to advance x-ray diagnostics for burning plasmas. The position is anticipated to include occasional travel to Madison, of order a month total per year. The Astrophysics and Advanced Diagnostics group at LLNL fields x-ray and EUV spectrometers at magnetic fusion facilities and laser produced plasma facilities, participates in the development of X-ray astrophysics space missions, including the X-ray Imaging and Spectroscopy Mission (XRISM) and the Athena X-ray observatory, and performs laboratory astrophysics experiments using the electron beam ion trap facility. This position is in the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate, Physics Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct fundamental research in one or more of the following areas: magnetic fusion energy, laboratory astrophysics, x-ray microcalorimeter devices
- Design and implement experimental and/or analysis techniques in one or more of the above areas
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals
- Document and publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings
- Maintain professional and institutional visibility through participation in conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- PhD in physics and/or astrophysics, or related field
- Proficient in python or other scripting language
- Experience working independently on defined research projects
- Experience analyzing data from orbiting experiments or other mid- to large-scale experimental facility
- Background in astrophysics, planetary science, x-ray instrumentation, low-temperature detectors, or magnetic fusion energy
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as functioning as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to detail
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Ability to travel as required
Qualifications We Desire
- Ability to write novel code for instrument pulse processing and analyzing measured x-ray spectra
- Ability to run atomic physics modeling code
- Experience with operating or designing cryogenic detectors and cryogenic experimental platforms
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.