Refine Search Clear All
Mechanical Technologist, Target Area Operator for NIF&PS
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/21/2022
Job Code: 533.2 Technologist-Mechanical
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
The National Ignition Facility (NIF) is seeking multiple talented and self‐motivated Mechanical Technologists to assemble, install, troubleshoot, and operate systems supporting Target Area Operations for complex and critical NIF experiments.
NIF is a 24/7 operational facility and operators typically work on a three 12 hr and four 12 hr alternating schedule to support operations, with the last 2 hours of each shift being overtime. The day shift hours are from 06:30-19:30 and the owl shift hours are from 18:30-07:30. Day shifts work either Sunday-Tuesday and every other Wednesday, or Thursday to Saturday and every other Wednesday. Owl shifts work either Sunday to Tuesday and every other Saturday night or Wednesday to Friday and every other Saturday night. Most work will occur in Radiological environments, and you will get trained prior to having access to those areas.
These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role, you will
- Install, align, and prepare moderately complex hardware in the Target Area in support of NIF Shot Operations including precision and high-value optics and targets as well as systems including diagnostics, snouts, optics, targets, and other precision equipment inside Target Area positioners.
- Hoist and rig loads including troubleshooting moderately complex mechanical and electrical assemblies. Also includes operating, troubleshooting, and maintaining pressurized gas systems, x-rays, cryogenic target systems, and vacuum system operations.
- Operate, troubleshoot, and maintain cryogenic, vacuum, x-ray, and pressurized gas systems.
- Operate various systems and equipment remotely using a graphical user interface (GUI) computer control systems.
- Provide technical support to engineering tests, physics experiments, and program operations including providing input for documentation of system operation and test procedures.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety procedures while completing job assignments.
- May occasionally work in Beryllium contaminated areas or other areas requiring a respirator.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Mechanical or Electrical Technologies or a combination of education and experience or previous equivalent military experience working on cryogenic/vacuum systems.
- Fundamental knowledge of and experience providing general technical support including moderately complex installation, operation, troubleshooting, testing, and documentation of hardware that may include mechanical and electrical assemblies.
- Working knowledge of and intermediate experience with various mechanical maintenance practices including plumbing, hardware and electrical as it relates to overall system operation and maintenance.
- Ability to learn technical skills using computer control and data acquisition systems or similar large systems while working under general supervision.
- Ability to adapt to system changes, upgrades, and processes to complete experiments.
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Ability to be certified to work with Beryllium, use a respirator, work in confined spaces, lift and push 50 pounds, use portable ladders with a max 300-pound weight limit, and work from various heights.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary technical team environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication and presentation skills including ability to convey highly detailed procedures and verbally discuss technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with operations and maintenance of vacuum systems and associated hardware.
- Experience with precision mechanical assembly, alignment, and testing.
- Experience working within a nuclear, military, or highly technical laboratory environment.
- Ability to work on moderately complex systems including optical, electrical, and mechanical.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.