Refine Search Clear All
Research Scientist - Immunologist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/21/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a nationally recognized Immunologist to lead a new medical countermeasure therapeutics initiative. You will lead, manage, and mentor multidisciplinary teams to develop medical countermeasures for emerging infectious diseases. You will provide technical, operational, and administrative leadership for scientists and postdoctoral researchers supporting research into ground-breaking approaches for countering human vulnerabilities to biological threats. This position is in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division within the Physical and Life Sciences Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job duties will be assigned at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Lead and develop research activities to expand work in medical countermeasures, including applying cellular and biochemical assays to validate the efficacy of therapeutics for chem-bio security applications.
- Create and validate highly complex protocols to rapidly respond to emerging national security needs by collaborating with engineers, biomedical scientists, chemists, and computational biologists to identify effective countermeasures, focusing on the human immune system.
- Build a research portfolio in medical countermeasures by ensuring technical excellence on currently funded efforts and developing competitive research proposals for internal and external funding sources.
- Provide subject matter expertise in human immunology and therapeutics development, providing technical guidance, leadership, and mentorship for scientists and engineers in the Biosciences and Biotechnology Division (BBTD), other divisions within PLS and other directorates such as Global Security and Computation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition, at the SES.4 Level, you will:
- Represent LLNL’s capabilities in biosecurity related science and applications to Laboratory senior management and external sponsors including national security sponsors.
- Develop new and innovative research approaches relevant to the needs of Laboratory programs and/or external funding agencies; write proposals, secure funding, and establish independent research projects.
- Lead, manage and mentor a large, multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Ph.D. in Human Immunology, Virology, medical countermeasure development or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Proven track-record in leading medical countermeasures R&D, and in securing, and executing grants from HHS, DoD, or other sponsors. Willingness to develop relationships and work with national security sponsors.
- Substantial experience in human immunology, infectious disease, molecular pharmacology, and molecular and cell-based assay development.
- Significant research experience in therapeutics design and development.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and work efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Advanced leadership skills and experience leading, supervising, and mentoring others in a technical environment.
- Strong record in scientific achievements supported by peer-reviewed publications, invited presentations, awards and other recognition.
- Ability to delegate effectively and to lead, motivate, and build highly complex interdisciplinary teams.
- Expert written and verbal communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills, necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 Level:
- Extensive experience obtaining sustained funding.
- Extensive experience managing and leading large multi-disciplinary teams.
- Extensive experience managing work in a A/BSL-3 biological select agent and toxin (BSAT) laboratory.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.