Refine Search Clear All
Detonation Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/21/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Detonation Scientist to independently work on research and development using traditional and novel techniques as well as advanced diagnostics to gain insights into the detonation characteristics of energetic materials. You will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research in a wide range of research challenges involving energetic materials, including the integration of test data into modeling and simulation tools for a comprehensive understanding. You will routinely interact with professional colleagues and managers in Physical and Life Sciences (PLS), engineers, and sponsors across and outside the laboratory. This position is in the Energetic Materials Group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Design and conduct complex experiments to measure the detonation properties of energetic materials.
- Conduct advanced research to analyze and interpret experimental data and help integrate results with modeling and simulation tools.
- Serve as the primary technical contact on the design and analysis of experimental tests involving the detonation of energetic materials.
- Provide direction on complex program requirements and deliverables for research sponsors and program managers.
- Convey capabilities and new opportunities to sponsors and program managers.
- Exert significant influence on technical objectives related to experimental testing of energetic materials.
- Develop and present written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Chemistry, Material Science, Physics or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant experience in analyzing complex data through the development of interpretive models.
- Significant experience in performing experiments utilizing advanced diagnostics.
- Experience leading a scientific team that incorporates experimental data into modeling and simulation tools.
- Demonstrated record for completing projects and delivering results on time and within a constrained budget.
- Ability to work with energetic materials and become a qualified explosives handler.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations and prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research environment.
Qualifications we desire
- Knowledge of shock physics and thermochemistry.
- Knowledge of one or more programming languages or computing environments (MATLAB, Python, C++, etc.)·
- Familiarity with hydrodynamic simulation tools.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now