Refine Search Clear All
WCI Nuclear Data Physicist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/20/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Nuclear Data Physicist to conduct analysis of experimental data in support of Nuclear Test Data program. You will join a multidisciplinary team working to analyze experimental data from legacy nuclear tests as well as data obtained from modern experiments collected with cutting edge diagnostic equipment. This position is in the Prompt Diagnostics group, within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will:
- Own a portion of the data analysis portfolio, utilize novel analysis methods, preserve and curate historical knowledge resources, leverage underutilized data, modernize analysis workflow elements, and supply laboratory staff with analyses upon request
- Conduct research to advance new capabilities in data analysis of historical and modern experiments
- Interpret analysis needs and respond to requests for analysis or related information from internal and external requestor by gathering and analyzing information and explaining procedures and guidelines
- Communicate results to internal and external audiences ranging from peers to sponsoring organizations via written technical reports and presentations in a timely manner
- Write research proposals relevant to programs and sponsors with the goal of solving key issues
- Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams of scientists and engineers and occasionally travel to other sites within the DOE laboratory system
- Promote and support plans to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion within in the program
- Perform other duties as assigned
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Provide technical advice to management and set specific technical strategies to achieve program goals.
- Collaborate as a technical expert on multidisciplinary team, assume responsibility as primary technical contact for projects and establish project objectives based on personal judgment
- Work independently with minimal direction to identify solutions to complex problems
- Provide leadership that determines the outcome of projects or tasks and mentoring to less-experienced staff
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Master’s degree in physics, astrophysics, mathematics, or engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Experience and comprehensive knowledge in designing, assembling, and conducting nuclear physics experiments and experimental nuclear physics instrumentation and methods
- Experience with high-performance computing, computer-aided design (CAD), computer programming (python, Matlab, C++, etc.), version control tools (BitBucket, GitLab, etc.), Linux/Unix operating systems
- Have applied experimental methods, computational techniques, and analysis approaches required to advance data analysis capabilities
- Previous experience and demonstrated ability to perform independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature or equivalent classified research documents.
- Proficient verbal and written communications skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity, and inclusion principles in the workplace
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant experience in a closely related field
- Significant experience and ability to deliver on milestones in a timely manner.
- Significant experience and demonstrated ability to lead independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature or equivalent classified research documents.
- Significant experience working with customers to identify and address research questions
- Experience leading projects in collaboration with multi-disciplinary team across the DOE laboratory system.
Qualification We Desire
- PhD in physics, astrophysics, mathematics, or engineering, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now