Refine Search Clear All
Climate Model User Support Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/20/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Climate Model Support Scientist to provide documentation, testing and user support for the Energy Exascale Earth System Model project. You will work as the link between the core modeling team and the growing external user community, by writing and editing model documentation, users’ guides and external communications. Additionally, you will work with model developers to test new model features by running simulations and post-processing scripts. This position is in the Climate Sciences Group in the Atmospheric, Earth and Energy Division.
In this role you will
- Write, edit and review end-user documentation.
- Write and review newsletter stories on project accomplishments
- Work with developers to test new model features and capabilities
- Give formal and informal presentations to staff members, external collaborators, and scientific conferences.
- Contribute to publications of research results in technical reports and peer-reviewed journals.
- Travel as required to coordinate work with collaborators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- B.S. Degree in atmospheric science, oceanography, earth science or closely related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Broad experience working with scientists in atmospheric science, oceanography, climate science, or closely related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills necessary to independently write reports and exchange technical information with colleagues and the broader science community.
- Possession of the interpersonal skills necessary to work in a diverse, multidisciplinary research team and communicate with the external user community and sponsors.
- Ability to travel as required.
Qualifications we desire
- M.S. in atmospheric science, oceanography, earth science or closely related field and formal training and experience in technical writing or communications
- Broad experience running weather, climate, or Earth system model simulations and/or Web development.
- Broad experience programming in Python, R or MatLab
- Broad experience working with climate, Earth system or weather model output.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.