Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/19/2022
Job Code: TSS.1 Technical Services & Ops MTS 1 / TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Experimental Leads within the Initiation System Group (ISG). Your primary responsibility is the safe and successful execution of experiments in the High Explosive Application Facilities (HEAF) and other ISG managed locations. You will be responsible for many aspects of the experiment including, but not limited to, experimental design, safety and performance margin and uncertainty calculations, acting as an interface between the principal investigator and the operations team, providing intent and guidance in experimental conduct, and leading the test effort through all phases of the experiment (pre-during-post). In addition, you will prepare packages of pre- and post-experiment reports with pertinent data analysis and interpretation. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design safe and effective dynamic experiments and experimental methods in support of ISG scope.
- Plan, coordinate, and oversee the fabrication, purchasing (including special equipment and high explosive parts), hardware assembly, and diagnostic placement for experiments at HEAF.
- Participate in shot scheduling, coordinate mechanical and electronic engineering personnel to build experimental hardware, implement diagnostic methods, and assemble targets composed of energetic materials for testing in enclosed firing tanks at HEAF.
- Maintain accurate and detailed technical records of experimental design and data to ensure results are properly annotated and organized for reports.
- Collaborate with other scientists and engineers in the implementation of safety guidelines for experimental operations by applying technical knowledge and skills in a variety of safety disciplines and ensuring design reviews are conducted on novel experiments in compliance with the HEAF Facility Safety Document.
- Provide data collection and analysis for experimental shot and post-shot data.
- Interact with internal customers, working under general direction to design and implement solutions for well-defined experimental designs of limited complexity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.2 level
- Lead development of advance test method and diagnostics.
- Utilize independent judgment to prioritize, schedule, and deconflict moderately complex to complex experiments with long lead-times, which may involve parallel tasks with well-defined priorities.
- Represent the organization by providing input on technical issues and at external meetings and/or conferences.
- Provide guidance and/or informal mentoring to less-experienced personnel.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, engineering technology, or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of engineering design and engineering drawings, including geometric tolerancing and dimensioning, knowledge of machining processes, mechanical fabrication and assembly, materials properties and manufacturing methods.
- Experience managing projects with a high consequence of error with regard to safety.
- Experience functioning as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- Experience identifying and recommending solutions to complex technical problems by evaluating readily identifiable factors using standard methodologies.
- Experience in collection, analysis, and documentation of engineering and/or scientific data.
- Verbal and written communication skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability and willingness to become a qualified Explosives Handler.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of materials science of energetic materials - including understanding behavior under extreme loading, including shock, impact, and heating environments.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering design and engineering drawings, including geometric tolerancing and dimensioning, high-speed diagnostics and knowledge of machining processes, mechanical fabrication and assembly, materials properties and manufacturing methods.
- Experience identifying and recommending solutions to technical problems of moderate complexity by evaluating largely identifiable factors using innovative methodologies. Knowledge of the Primary Nuclear Design experimental program at multiple locations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL policies and procedures and ES&H requirements, and DOE regulations, national codes and standards, and administrative relationships or ability to work in highly regulated environment.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.