Refine Search Clear All
Electrical Designer-Laser Systems Engineering and Operations
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/19/2022
Job Code: 534.2 Design Drafter / 534.3 Designer
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Electrical Designers. You will provide electrical design and drafting support including electrical design, drawing and data management of control/diagnostic systems and sub systems in support of the National Ignition Facility and Photon Sciences (NIF&PS) Directorate. You will develop, interpret, and translate concepts into design layouts, with supportive calculations and documentation. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide general electrical design and drafting support at a system level to engineering, scientific, and technical staff utilizing knowledge of CAD tools where design parameters and specifications have been established.
- Provide graphics and related technical material in support of design reviews, procedures, and other documentation.
- Review completed drawings and other documentation for adherence to LLNL drafting standards and specifications.
- Maintain drawings and other technical records applying appropriate Configuration Management with a Product Lifecycle Management.
- Generate or drive Electro-Mechanical design solutions that address moderately complex requirements and constraints, and translate these solutions into detailed interconnection, schematic, wiring, panel layouts, silkscreens, and associated mechanical detail and assembly drawings while under general supervision.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 534.3 level
- Provide advanced electro-mechanical technical advice and solutions in a team environment.
- Provide supporting documentation for Electro-Mechanical design solutions that may include analysis, schedules, costing, processes, and procedures.
- Perform advanced calculations to support technical work using standard engineering formulas.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate Degree or equivalent in Electro-Mechanical Design/Drafting or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of developing moderately complex design concepts with a broad background in its various sub-disciplines – mechanical, optical, and electro-mechanical.
- Experience within the scope of moderately complex conception, design, fabrication and materials, prototyping projects from start to finish while working under general.
- Experience and intermediate knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Ability and attitude to develop a project from start to finish under general supervision. (Should be able to provide examples from past jobs).
- Ability to interpret and follow moderately complex notes sketches, drawings, specifications, and procedures.
- Experience working as a member of a project team with engineers, scientists, designers, technicians, and coordinators.
- Effective communication to present concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner both verbal and written to peers and managers in presentation form and report form, to small and large groups as needed.
- Skills in Microsoft software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.
Additional qualifications at the 534.3 level
- Ability to independently analyze and interpret complex design requirements, and to exercise creativity and judgment in solving electrical or mechanical design problems while achieving results on schedule.
- Advanced analytical skills in systems analysis and experience on experimental systems.
- Advanced knowledge of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5).
- Advanced knowledge of developing design concepts with a broad background in its various sub-disciplines – mechanical, optical, and Electro-Mechanical.
Qualifications We Desire
- Bachelor’s degree in Electro-Mechanical/Electronics or Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Experience using PTC Windchill, or Creo Parametric/ Schematics, or Mentor Graphics PADS/DxDesigner, or GerbTool softwares.
- Experience in reviewing and verifying the accuracy of work performed by peers and other engineering disciplines as needed
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.