Refine Search Clear All
Materials Analysis - Staff Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 04/19/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Staff Scientist to conduct a full range of general to moderately complex research in the areas of analytical chemistry, electrochemical testing, and materials synthesis, including materials formulation and device integration for carbon dioxide capture and conversion. You will actively participate with and be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research in applied science for carbon dioxide mitigation. This position is in the Materials for Energy and Climate Security group within the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Investigate materials formulation/structure/performance relationships measured with electrochemical, analytical, and gas sorption testing.
- Assist manufacture electrolyzer components through various deposition techniques.
- Assess the impacts of electrolyzer components on performance.
- Interact with a wide spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory to enhance the applications of advanced materials and manufacturing applied to carbon management.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals and provide solutions to problems with limited complexity.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook; generate, organize, and analyze experimental data; and participate in research and project planning.
- Document research and provide results for presentation within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 level
- Participate in the conception and design of moderately complex to complex new experiments to execute research to address defined problems within the scope of LLNL interests.
- Design and perform analytical and electroanalytical chemistry experiments, including gas sorption, mass spectrometry, gas chromatography, and cyclic voltammetry.
- Prepare written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products that capture and communicate research results.
- Bachelor’s degree in Analytical Chemistry, Materials Science, Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge and practical experience in materials formulation and characterization.
- Experience identifying and recommending solutions to fundamental problems using initiative and creativity.
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication skills as reflected by effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Ability to work independently, and collaborate on multidisciplinary teams as required to reach research goals.
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Conduct moderately complex to complex research in (full device and reactor assembly and characterization).
- Ability as a creative experimentalist, and a diverse range of experience in experimental design, techniques and execution.
- Broad experience in electrochemistry and understanding of gas sorption.
Qualifications we desire
- Master’s degree in Analytical Chemistry, Materials Science, Organic Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, applied physics or a related field.
- A proven interest in advancing technologies for impact in real world applications.
- Willingness and ability to provide data for proposals to gain funding for either feasibility or long-term studies.
- Willingness to engage and contribute to our inclusive lab culture.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Flexible Term appointment, which is for a definite period not to exceed six years.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.