Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/05/2022
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Design Manager focusing on facility engineering. You will oversee the development of construction documents prepared by engineers from all facility design disciplines including electrical (power, electronics, telecom, alarms), civil, survey, architecture, structural, and mechanical (HVAC, plumbing, fire protection, laboratory systems, controls). This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
The Project Management Office (PMO) provides LLNL with engineering, design, estimating, construction, and project management services. PMO provides infrastructure services to enable cutting-edge research and development in the areas of defense technologies, global security, laser science, bioscience, and more. PMO offers cradle to grave infrastructure services to achieve reliable delivery of completed projects with priority on safety, collaboration, and a workforce working toward our shared vision.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Manage the technical criteria and work effort of multi-disciplinary engineering teams working on complex building and laboratory facility design projects for new construction and the renovation and remodeling of existing facilities.
- Provide oversight of construction document development and review the documents for consistency, conformance with the criteria and scope, and cross-discipline coordination.
- Facilitate the coordination and communication of the project scope and technical criteria between the project engineers and client and/or project manager; guide the successful completion of projects and contribute to the development of organizational goals and supports projects that are not under your direct management.
- Manage all project reviews and approvals for assigned projects by collecting and disseminating construction documents, receiving and consolidating comments, coordinating responses and corrections, and managing the drawing signature process, as well as the review of construction submittals and oversight of construction field activities and installations.
- Prepare procurement documents for the subcontracting of outside consultant Architectural/Engineering (A/E) services to supplement internal engineering capability; manage the outside A/E contracts, including preparing project scopes, technical criteria, engineering design estimates and schedules.
- Prepare designs and engineering studies for conventional equipment and components in complex building environments supporting research activities.
- Prepare construction documents for designs, including construction drawings, construction specifications, and procurement specifications for the pre-purchase of LLNL furnished equipment and ensure construction documents that have been prepared by both internal staff and external A/E firms are in conformance with applicable Building Codes and LLNL Standards.
- Provide solutions to complex issues/problems that require in-depth analysis and frequent use of ingenuity and creativity.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Provide Subject Matter Expert advice to management for projects related to the design, construction and operation of laboratory and office facilities.
- Serve as the spokesperson for the PMO Design & Engineering Division on specialized projects or programs.
- Mentor peers and less experienced junior engineers in engineering principles and practices.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or engineering or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- California Professional Engineering Registration in appropriate engineering discipline or reciprocity from another state within twelve months.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary design teams.
- Significant experience in design management, including project planning, scheduling, professional services estimates, and adherence to completion dates.
- Significant experience troubleshooting and analyzing complex system problems and developing criteria and scopes of work that can be used to successfully restore the proper operation of the system.
- Experience utilizing design/build project delivery methods.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable state and national construction codes and standards.
- Advanced verbal and written communication, skills, necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills to evaluate, interpret, negotiate, recommend, and implement actions/solutions for complex problems.
- Significant experience in the use of Microsoft Office software and experience with AutoCAD for the preparation of working drawings.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Subject matter expert knowledge of design, construction and operation of laboratory and office facilities, and engineering principles.
- Expert verbal and written communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to effectively present, explain and advise senior management.
- Experience leading and developing design teams.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of applicable DOE Orders and Federal Standards.
- Membership in appropriate professional organizations and USGBC LEED AP certification.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.