Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/05/2022
Job Code: TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3 / TSS.4 Technical Services & Ops MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for a Project Manager to provide support for the W80-4 Life Extension Program (LEP) and W87-1 Modification Program (MOD). You will work with technical leads in Engineering and Project Controls to enable effective execution of applicable technical work scope. You will also manage cost, schedule, and risk of those efforts within the LEP/MOD. You will educate and guide the technical leads on proper project management techniques. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Apply advanced project management principles to multiple complex technical projects at any given time while balancing resources and identifying risk.
- Guide technical staff to identify and evaluate engineering standards and procedures to improve overall process efficiency.
- Monitor the progress of work and the impact of changes by working as a liaison between technical staff and the Program Office.
- Act as Control Account Manager or support the Control Account Manager in managing, planning, and executing the scope, schedule, and budget for their assigned control accounts.
- Work cross-functionally to build fully functional project teams and work processes.
- Mentor and lead principal investigators/lead engineers in the development of work proposals, statements of work, project plans, project risk assessments and responses.
- Perform complex analysis tasks independently, working towards goals and objectives.
- Plan large efforts requiring collaboration with multiple disciplines. Develop project plans including task estimation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSS.4 level
- Train, mentor and lead groups of team members on highly complex and diverse topics. Establish technical project direction and requirements for others.
- Prepare major cross-functional project plans including task estimation. Facilitate and interact with senior leaders and internal and external stakeholders to complete project activities.
- Prepare technical process strategies and plans and present to all levels of management.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the processes involved in hardware design, fabrication, testing, qualification, and deployment.
- Significant experience in control account management and associated processes, with a thorough understanding of integration points with other functional areas.
- Experience applying advanced analytical and problem-solving skills to business outlooks such as forecasting, cost/benefit analysis, and trending.
- Ability to engineer solutions by collaborating as needed across different internal groups, and external stakeholders.
- Ability and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests.
- Significant project management experience in complex technical projects (especially R&D) including organizing, managing, and tracking scope, schedule, budget, and risk.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Advanced written and verbal communication and negotiation skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members and influence outcomes.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.4 level
- Experience as a supervisor or team leader engineering and implementing business solutions and knowledge of project management practices. Experience leading major, cross-functional projects.
- Experience developing highly complex research plans for data gathering and analysis, developing integrated project analyses, and designing and implementing improvements.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to advise and influence senior management and/or external sponsors.
- Extensive record of team building, conflict resolution and influencing multiple stakeholders without direct authority.
Qualifications We Desire
- Understand how the needs of the DoD and DOE impact LLNL and the role of project manager.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.