Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 04/05/2022
Job Code: TSS.2 Technical Services & Ops MTS 2 / TSS.3 Technical Services & Ops MTS 3
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Engineer. You will provide engineering design solutions for the Laboratory’s mechanical infrastructure, building HVAC systems, building automation and DDC control systems, energy management, laboratory design, and central plant-type equipment in support of projects associated with new construction, remodeling, and modifications to conventional office and laboratory facilities. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
The Project Management Office (PMO) provides LLNL with engineering, design, estimating, construction, and project management services. PMO provides infrastructure services to enable cutting-edge research and development in the areas of defense technologies, global security, laser science, bioscience, and more. PMO offers cradle to grave infrastructure services to achieve reliable delivery of completed projects with priority on safety, collaboration, and a workforce working toward our shared vision.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Contribute to the development of detailed engineering designs and construction packages for projects being performed to improve the Laboratory’s building mechanical.
- Perform computer-based analyses of process piping for sizing and layout, heating and cooling load calculations, energy management, and life-cycle cost.
- Prepare construction documents for mechanical designs, including scoping criteria, construction drawings and specifications, and procurement specifications for LLNL furnished equipment.
- Review and approve construction submittals and observe construction field activities and installations.
- Provide engineering solutions to a diverse range of moderately complex site building mechanical systems issues and/or problems.
- Develop approaches to solve moderately complex technical issues associated with specific projects using independent judgement and analysis.
- Perform duct sizing, pipe sizing, HVAC load calculations, Auto CAD drawings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the TSS.3 Level
- Design complex building and laboratory mechanical systems for new construction and the renovation and remodeling of existing facilities, including the design of heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems, plumbing and fire protection systems, industrial gas systems, and process piping systems.
- Prepare designs and engineering studies for conventional mechanical equipment and components in complex building environments supporting highly advanced research activities. Projects include design for the installation of air handling equipment, fume hoods, boilers, chillers, DDC control systems, pumps and filter systems, as well as complex mechanical systems in specialized research facilities such as clean rooms, high performance computing facilities, bio-safety labs, semiconductor and electronics fabrication labs, non-reactor nuclear facilities, and laser research facilities.
- Prepare procurement documents for the subcontracting of outside consultant architectural/engineering (A/E) services to supplement internal engineering capability, such as statements of work, technical criteria, design effort estimates, and schedule.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical field or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Professional registration as a Mechanical Engineer in the State of California or reciprocity from another state or ability to obtain CA license within 24 months.
- Comprehensive knowledge of concepts, techniques, practices and procedures for completing tasks or projects in mechanical engineering.
- Experience in and knowledge of the professional practice of commercial, industrial, and laboratory facility mechanical engineering and construction in areas such as HVAC systems design, piping system analysis and pump selection, process piping design for various industrial and laboratory gasses and fluids, building automation and control systems, and LEED/sustainable design practices.
- Technical, analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to organize and effectively coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through.
- Experience with mechanical engineering design software for building modeling such as heat load and psychometric analysis, HVAC system modeling, energy management, and/or pipe flow analysis, experience with Microsoft Office software, AutoCAD for the preparation of working drawings, and REVIT in the preparation of working drawings.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the TSS.3 Level
- Significant experience and advanced knowledge of the professional practice of commercial, industrial, and laboratory facility mechanical engineering and construction in areas such as HVAC systems design, piping system analysis and pump selection, process piping design for various industrial and laboratory gasses and fluids, building automation and control systems, and LEED/sustainable design practices.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable state and national construction codes and standards, including: California Mechanical & Plumbing Codes, NFPA 1, NFPA 13, and other Fire Codes and Standards, AWWA Standards, and ASHRAE Standards such as 62.1 and 90.1.
- Significant experience in design management, including project planning, scheduling, professional services estimates, and adherence to completion dates.
Qualifications We Desire
- Membership in professional organizations such as ASHRAE, ASME, etc.
- USGBC LEED AP certification and knowledge of applicable DOE Orders, Federal Standards.
- Experience in design of fire protection systems and with mechanical system testing and balancing and/or commissioning.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.