Refine Search Clear All
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/31/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Computational Engineer to perform multi-physics code development and analysis. Development work will include model development and implementation for production-scale high-performance computing simulation codes, including model verification and validation. Analysis work will focus on utilizing cutting-edge multi-physics codes and high-performance computing to solve national security problems across the Laboratory’s mission space for a variety of sponsors. You will work as a member of a large multidisciplinary team with a broad spectrum of physicists, engineers, computer scientists, and mathematicians. This position is in the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Contribute to the development of production-level high-performance multi-physics simulation software for use on massively parallel computers.
- Perform analysis of complex mechanical systems subject to dynamic structural and thermal loads with emphasis on high performance computational techniques.
- Document methods and implementation in informal and formal reports and presentations.
- Work to fulfill deliverables, sharing relevant knowledge, analysis, and recommendations in collaboration with internal and external scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Propose and develop advanced code capabilities designed for high-performance computing in support of Laboratory mission objectives.
- Independently determine technical objectives and criteria to satisfy project deliverables and execute the appropriate technical approaches.
- Apply advanced technical knowledge and best practices to guide successful completion of project and organizational goals.
- Interact frequently and provide formal presentations to Laboratory managers and external collaborators and sponsors.
- Lead and mentor student fellows and summer student researchers.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master’s degree in engineering, physics, computational science, applied math, or related field or equivalent level of education and related experience.
- Proficient programming ability in C, C++, FORTRAN, Python, Perl, or similar languages.
- Comprehensive knowledge and broad relevant experience in computational structural mechanics, material failure, dynamics, heat transfer, thermo-mechanical response of systems, applied implicit methods, or finite element methods for solid mechanics.
- Proficient interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively present and explain technical information.
- Ability to collaborate in a multidisciplinary team environment, as well as independently.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in computational mechanics, including significant experience in modeling and simulation tools.
- Significant experience with one or more higher-level programming languages such as C/C++, FORTRAN, Python, Perl, or similar languages.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports, publications, invited papers, and to deliver scientific presentations and provide advice to management. Advanced interpersonal skills and ability to lead a multi-disciplinary team.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in engineering, physics, computational science, applied math, or related field.
- Experience conducting computational analysis in a multi-physics context.
- Analysis experience with software on massively parallel systems.
- Experience in the design of algorithms, development of software, and their implementation and verification.
- Experience collaborating with experimentalists for model validation.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.