Refine Search Clear All
Senior Industrial Hygiene & Safety Manager
Environmental, Safety & Health | livermore, CA | 03/31/2022
Job Code: TSM.1 Technical Manager 1
Organization: ESH and Quality
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a highly experienced Senior Industrial Hygiene & Safety Manager to lead and manage LLNL’s Worker Safety and Health Functional Area (WSH FA). You will provide day to day management and technical leadership of the functions, disciplines, and personnel within the WSH FA. Additionally, you will be counted on for strategic vision and technical oversight to meet the goals and objectives of WSH FA customers and stakeholders. You will be a key member of the Environment, Safety and Health (ES&H) Directorate senior management team and report to the ES&H Programs Department Manager, ensuring that the WSH Programs at the Laboratory are effective, efficient, and compliant in order to enable the safe execution of Laboratory work. This position is in the ES&H Directorate within the Operations & Business Principal Associate Directorate.
In this role you will
- Serve as an integral member of the ES&H Directorate management team to formulate and execute high level goal setting and strategic planning.
- Provide overall day-to-day and strategic leadership, direction, technical oversight, and personnel administration to the WSH FA (~50 employees) while managing the delivery of an innovative, cost-effective, schedule-driven, compliant, and reliable WSH program. The WSH FA includes a variety of safety programs for biological, industrial safety (e.g., construction, elevated work surfaces and fall protection, aviation) and industrial hygiene (e.g., chemical, hazardous materials and metals, exposure assessment, confined space, hazard communication, noise, non-ionizing radiation, and heat stress).
- Engage internal and external customers, and stakeholders to ensure comprehensive integration and teaming to operate with shared fate and as a valued and trusted partner, enabling successful mission execution and enhancing safety performance.
- Provide expert level understanding of Worker Safety and Health-related regulatory and contractual requirements to effectively liaison with the DOE Livermore Field Office (LFO) on regulatory interpretation and to resolve highly unusual, complex and/or sensitive technical issues.
- Serve as a key advisor to Directorate and Laboratory senior management on broad issues of WSH. Conduct frequent interactions across organizational lines to gain concurrence/acceptance on complex issues affecting all areas of the Laboratory.
- Develop and maintain meaningful, data driven performance measures for the WSH FA that inform Laboratory decision makers and accurately reflect the health of the WSH FA at the Laboratory.
- Oversee the WSH FA’s performance management, salary management, and manage hiring and recruiting activities, including career development of employees and organizational succession management. Maintain a commitment to attract high-quality staff, and to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment.
- Collaborate with and benchmark against other DOE sites to share practices and continuously improve.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in a science, engineering, or ES&H-related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience leading and/or managing an ES&H program at a large company or national laboratory with a broad set of worker hazards typical of research in material science, physics, engineering, biological sciences as well as those found in construction and renovation, and including significant experience with strategic planning, workforce planning, managing budgets, organizational dynamics, and establishing strategic and operational goals.
- Significant subject matter expertise in several of the safety programs within the scope of the WSH FA, with expert level knowledge of, and extensive experience interpreting and evaluating, WSH regulations imposed by regulation, DOE Directives, and operating contracts, demonstrated ability to determine their applicability and impact on operations, experience evaluating and proposing solutions for issues related to implementation, and effectively working with subcontractors to ensure requirements are understood and implemented.
- Extensive experience building strong working relationships and trust with a demanding customer base, leading staff in achieving high standards of customer service, and a personal commitment to a customer service ethos.
- Experience successfully collaborating on senior management teams to develop organizational strategy, objectives, measures, and goals.
- Expert situational awareness, problem solving, decision making, and analytical skills necessary to independently advise, recommend, and resolve highly complex problems impacting a large organization.
- Significant experience in performance management and supervision of organizational staff and managers, including performance issues, career development, annual performance appraisals, and salary management with the ability to motivate and inspire a diverse group of personnel.
- Expert communication, facilitation, collaboration, interpersonal, and conflict resolution skills necessary to effectively explain, direct, present, advise, negotiate, and influence all levels of management, both internal and external to the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in industrial hygiene, industrial safety, or related field.
- Certification as an Industrial Hygiene and/or Industrial Safety Professional.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.