Refine Search Clear All
Distributed Control Systems Engineer
Engineering | livermore, CA | 03/29/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Distributed Control System Engineers to contribute to the design, implementation, and commissioning of distributed control systems supporting laser research within the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) directorate. The control systems are responsible for mitigating machine safety hazards with a high consequence of failure. You will be responsible for hardware selection, evaluation, and integration with scientific and process control instrumentation and sensors (e.g., digital cameras, power meters, digitizers, flow meters, RTDs, etc.). You will be responsible for software development, integration, and commissioning of supervisory layer software, graphical user interfaces, and device level controls involving real time and non-real time components. These positions are in the Laser Systems Engineering and Operations (LSEO) Division, within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Develop moderately complex to complex applications for supervisory, automated processing and/or device level controls.
- Using prototyping and other analysis techniques, evaluate and provide recommendations on technological solutions while working under limited direction.
- Participate in formal and informal code and design reviews.
- Select, integrate, and deploy hardware components for moderately complex to complex distributed controls applications.
- Perform in-field testing, maintenance, and troubleshooting of control system hardware and software.
- Document all work products including design and software implementation under configuration management.
- Maintain a close interface with the various programmatic and project elements to ensure effective teamwork and end-user communication.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team maintaining a close interface with the various programmatic and project elements to ensure effective teamwork and end-user communication.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Identify hardware, software, and communication protocols to provide robust and maintainable device/controller interface solutions while working independently, under minimal direction.
- Develop, design, implement complex software including machine safety software.
- Work with operations staff and stakeholders to understand user requirements, develop and execute operational qualification plans, while providing oversight and guidance into production and commissioning activities on subsystems to ensure their successful deployment.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or the equivalent combination of education and previous related experience.
- Comprehensive knowledge of, and broad experience in development of distributed controls, data acquisition, and computer interfacing.
- Experience and proficiency with the systems and software engineering process for generation of requirements, design documents, configuration control, and preparation of test plans and user documentation.
- Broad experience with control systems hardware selection, integration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of involved hardware and software.
- Ability to work independently, under limited direction, and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team which includes working with scientists, engineers, technicians, and designers.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively present and explain technical information.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Advanced knowledge of and significant experience in application of best practices in complex software engineering design and development including gathering and interpreting requirements and involved qualification processes.
- Advanced knowledge of distributed controls hardware and timing systems including involved protocols and arriving at technical solutions.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering.
- Experience in object-oriented design and analysis (OOP).
- Experience in development or systems integration using NI LabVIEW, EPICS, or other related technologies involving control systems and scientific instrumentation.
- Experience in the application of and programming FPGAs.
- Experience with electrical design tools such as AutoCAD Electrical (ACE)
- Experience working in complex research and development applications such as accelerators and laser systems.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.