Refine Search Clear All
Development of Neutron Instrumentation - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 03/28/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher for development of fieldable radiation detection systems for in-depth nuclear material analysis for nonproliferation and nuclear security applications. This research group has a particular focus on fast neutron and gamma-ray correlated analysis via fast scintillator detection systems. You will actively participate in innovative research with a team of scientists and engineers on all aspects of detector development including developing, testing, and deploying these instruments in a wide range of environments. This position is within the Nuclear Security Physics group in the Nuclear and Chemical Sciences Division.
In this role you will
- Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel in radiation detection for nonproliferation and nuclear security applications
- Contribute to exploratory research and development of new detection system concepts
- Participate in design of fieldable detection equipment capable of real-time, onboard analysis
- Conduct laboratory testing using radioisotopes and standard data acquisition systems
- Develop data acquisition software in ROOT, C++, or other similar software
- Assist with data analysis using ROOT, C++, Python, or similar software
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals
- Present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in physics, nuclear engineering, or related field.
- Ability to perform independent research in experimental or theoretical science and to find innovative solutions to scientific and technical problems.
- Experience with neutron-based measurements.
- Experience working with scintillator arrays for fast neutron analysis and related concepts, such as PSD and high-speed acquisition electronics.
- Experience with developing or modifying data acquisition software.
- Experience with scintillation detector data processing, calibration, and analysis techniques.
- Documented publication record in peer-reviewed literature with experience presenting research results to a large audience.
- Proficient verbal and written communications skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Monte Carlo modeling using MCNP or Geant.
- Experience in C++ and/or ROOT.
- Familiarity with code versioning tools and object-oriented program design.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.