Refine Search Clear All
Solid State NMR Spectroscopist - Research Scientist
Physical Life Sciences | livermore, CA | 03/28/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Flexible Term or Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopist to independently work on the characterization of inorganic, organic, and polymeric materials using routine and advanced NMR spectroscopy. You will be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible for conducting and supporting research to understand aging and degradation mechanisms as well as structure-function relationships in a variety of materials used for industrial and energy applications. This position is in the Materials for Energy and Climate Security group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Design and conduct complex experiments related to the characterization of materials using solid-state and solution NMR spectroscopy.
- Conduct advanced research toward an improved understanding of the aging and degradation mechanisms of materials.
- Serve as the primary technical contact on the design and analysis of experimental tests to determine materials structure, physical properties, and degradation mechanisms.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary and multi-institution team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Develop and present written analyses and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results as well as periodic progress reports.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform routine maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair on NMR instruments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in Chemistry, Geochemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, Physics, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- Significant experience designing and conducting advanced solid-state NMR experiments to characterize complex materials.
- Significant experience with maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair of NMR hardware.
- Advanced knowledge of materials structure-property relationships.
- Ability to develop independent research projects.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to deliver presentations, prepare written reports, explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
- Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with routine and advanced solution-state NMR methods.
- Materials synthesis and/or polymer formulation experience.
- Experience with performing quantum chemical calculations and NMR simulations for determining NMR parameters of materials.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite or At Will appointment. Only Laboratory employees with Career Indefinite or At Will status may apply for this position. If final candidate is an At Will employee, At Will status may be maintained based on funding considerations.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.