Refine Search Clear All
Craft and Skilled Labor | livermore, CA | 03/24/2022
Job Code: 414.2 Gardener II / 414.3 Gardener III
Organization: Infrastructure and Operations
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Gardener/Landscaper Lead. You will perform intermediate to advanced landscape maintenance and installation duties of a skilled gardener. This position is in the Operations and Services Division of the Infrastructure Engineering and Operations Department.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Perform day-to-day gardener duties and site wide landscaping and grounds maintenance; mowing, edging, trimming and pruning trees, shrubs, and plants, installing, and maintaining landscaping surfaces, general clean-up, irrigation repairs and pest control.
- Maintain, repair, and install automatic and central irrigation systems and new landscape installation by using blueprints for planting and irrigation layouts.
- Perform specialized tasks such as applying herbicide with hand tank sprayer, performing high tree pruning, tree removal, stump grinding and pathway sweeping.
- Operate all standard equipment and tools of gardener tasks including bike path sweeper, wood chippers, aerial platform trucks, tractors, trenching equipment, motor vehicles, and other equipment common to the advanced landscape trade.
- Responsible for performing tasks in accordance with ES&H (Environmental, Safety, and Health) regulations and procedures, fulfilling all integrated safety, security, and property management responsibilities, as appropriate.
- Assist first line supervisor in direction of work activities and administrative functions; establishing priorities, setting schedules, coordinating work, training new employees, safety training and preparing reports.
- Support Gardener shop activities in absence of supervisor.
- Maintain good customer service, communications and interactions with clients, management, and other shops.
- Prepare a variety of standard reports using the computer associated with county agriculture inspection, water usage, pesticide inventory, and tree survey data. In addition, prepare reports for permits, vehicle inspections, and deficiency forms.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the 414.3 Level
- Operate specialized equipment including pest control sprayers, watering equipment including 300-gallon tanks and hand tanks, and fumigators.
- Maintain gardening equipment, including sharpening, and changing blades, as necessary.
- Prepare reports for equipment inspections, and pest control and record daily pesticides used at the Laboratory. Provide input on Pest Control Trainee Record Book.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- High School diploma or GED or equivalent combination of education and work experience in landscape maintenance.
- Experience performing a variety of intermediate to advanced landscape maintenance duties; mowing, trimming, and pruning of lawns, shrubs, and trees.
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting, repairing, and installing automatic and central irrigation systems.
- Experience performing specialized tasks, i.e., high tree pruning, tree removal greater than 15ft., and stump grinding.
- Ability to use chemicals and fertilizers common to the trade and to spot spray weeds in the landscape.
- Proficient in the use of hand tools and power tools of the trade. Experience operating all standard equipment and tools for gardener tasks including bike path sweeper, wood-chippers, aerial platform equipment, tractors, trenching equipment, and motor vehicles.
- Intermediate to advanced skills and experience in the gardener trade performing all tasks; including experience applying ES&H codes, state laws and regulations, and familiar with permitting requirements above and below ground.
- Experience in leading, and effective skills and abilities to make independent decisions, solve problems, schedule workload, and utilize manpower.
- Effective customer service, communication skills and the ability to work independently or as a team member interfacing well with others, including outside agencies.
- Effective writing skills and basic knowledge of computers necessary to complete forms, record time, complete web-based training and write reports that are concise and readable.
- Experience in training employees regarding landscape safety equipment.
- Must possess a valid California Driver’s License and State of California Department of Pesticides Regulations QAC License, or ability to obtain one within 90 days.
Additional qualifications at the 414.3 level
- Proficient in the use of hand and power tools of the landscaping trade; including pest control sprayers and watering equipment including 300-gallon tanks and hand tanks, and fumigators. Understanding of permitting requirements for above and below ground.
- Knowledge of and experience with pesticides and fertilizers common to the landscape trade. Experience with spray equipment including up to 160-gallon truck tank for weed abatement and certified by the State of California to apply pesticides.
- Experience in making independent decisions, solving problems, determining workload, safety training and preparing reports.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
Site 300 is an experimental test site operated by LLNL. Situated on 7,000 acres in rural foothills approximately six miles southwest of downtown Tracy and 15 miles southeast of Livermore, Site 300 hosts approximately 200 employees with expertise in such fields as engineering, chemistry, biology, and environmental restoration. Employees assigned to work at Site 300 may be exposed to the organism that causes San Joaquin Valley Fever (coccidioidomycosis).
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Davis Bacon Act
The Laboratory performs a variety of work, including some that may fall under Davis Bacon Act requirements. When work scope falls under this Act, the Laboratory complies with the prevailing wage requirements.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.