Refine Search Clear All
Cybersecurity Reverse Engineer
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 03/18/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2 / SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may be required
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Cybersecurity Reverse Engineers with a background in cybersecurity with an emphasis on software assurance. You will contribute to and lead research projects in the area of cybersecurity for critical infrastructure systems and civilian networks. You will leverage LLNL’s software assurance capabilities to enhance the security of software and firmware that resides in our critical networks and industrial control systems devices. These positions are programmatically in Global Security’s Energy and Homeland Security (E) Program and administratively in the Global Security Computing Applications Division (GS-CAD) within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either SES.2 or SES.3 level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Perform specialized moderately complex to complex static and dynamic analysis of binaries, firmware and source code to find inefficiencies and bugs, Under limited direction.
- Develop and implement new tools for automated software assurance analysis.
- Reverse engineer software, firmware and malware binaries.
- Interpret results of software analysis and ensure validity and security of software and software updates.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.3 level
- Lead multidisciplinary teams in the areas of software assurance for critical infrastructure cyber security, information security, and network security. Continue building LLNL’s software assurance capability.
- Pursue program development opportunities by co-authoring proposals and proposing ideas that will address sponsor needs, as well as identify program growth opportunities for existing customers that show an understanding of the customer space and needs.
- Present results and provide subject matter expertise across multi-discipline projects, and engaging with sponsors on a regular basis.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Software engineering experience in C, C++, or Python.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and/or experience in program analysis of source code, binaries, or firmware.
- Experience with hardware or software debuggers and/or with static disassemblers and decompilers.
- Broad knowledge of instruction set architectures, such as ARM, x86/x64, PowerPC and/or MIPS
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with contending priorities, as well as approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity to change focus when necessary.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate comprehensive knowledge effectively across multi-disciplinary teams and to non-cyber experts and the interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- Significant software engineering experience and advanced knowledge of and experience with software assurance.
- Project leadership experience and ability to work independently while effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities.
- Experience writing research proposals and securing sponsor funding, with advanced interpersonal, verbal, and written skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, and provide advice to management.
Qualifications We Desire
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field.
- Understanding of and/or experience with formal verification methods; experience with firmware extraction from devices; and/or industrial control systems software and hardware.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following Computer Science disciplines: parallel programming, embedded systems, high performance computing, scientific data analysis, machine learning, systems programming, software engineering, and big data technologies.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.