Refine Search Clear All
Estimating Group Leader
Business Operations | livermore, CA | 03/09/2022
Job Code: Q01.5 Project Controls Analyst 5
Organization: Operations and Business Office
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for an Estimating Group Leader. You will provide support to Laboratory projects and programs in the form of planning, designing, estimating, and specifying materials required for job order work by shop crafts or on-site contractors. You will be responsible for defining activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic and interfaces between activities, and resource loading activities. This position is in the Project Management Office (PMO).
In this role, you will
- Manage and direct cost estimating staff in preparing take-off and cost extensions from conceptual ideas and plans to an established construction budget and serve as a lead and subject matter expert to others on cost estimating activities; mentor and provide on-the-job training on industry leading cost estimating processes and practices.
- Prepare, oversee, and review complex cost estimates; ensure continued maintenance and application of unit rates to quantities, and validate estimates created for internal staff resource hours using standard construction reference material and standards, including CSI UniFormat and MasterFormat.
- Establish format, document, and summarize estimate reconciliations, including segregation of cost according to level of confidence and identification of areas of risk; identify improvements needed to the risk/contingency review process, and develop and implement solutions to complex problems.
- Interface with designated management and client counterparts on estimate status, durations, backlog, manpower planning, and outsource forecasting.
- Ensure all project work scope has been included in the project estimates; verify all scope, durations, and assumptions included in each estimate and authorize the release of every estimate.
- Manage and maintain the estimating system architecture; frequently report estimate status, estimate accuracy, estimating manpower forecasts, and other relevant estimate metadata.
- Attend and oversee division and client estimate reviews and act as a liaison between the estimating staff and senior members of management.
- Ensure business sensitive information such as official government estimates are properly distributed and managed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant functional discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Extensive experience directing cost estimating functions, including planning and scheduling, supervising, and training of technical and nontechnical personnel with experience presenting estimate information to client/management.
- Expert knowledge and experience of technical processes, engineering standards, state and federal codes, engineering drawings (including reading prints, drawing sketches), analyzing data, generating records, and writing mathematical and financial reports.
- Expert level knowledge of and experience using cost/estimating/scheduling computer applications in order to estimate jobs related to conceptual designs, preliminary design, and for delivering final cost estimate in advance of contract bidding.
- Experience preparing/reviewing contingency evaluation, durations, escalation, reconciliations for estimates.
- Advanced interpersonal and communication skills to tactfully and effectively establish and maintain highly productive working relationships with a broad cross-section of management, technical, scientific, and administrative personnel.
- Highly advanced analytical and problem-solving skills including performing statistical analysis, schedule performance monitoring, variance analysis and computer operations.
- Expert knowledge and extensive experience using Microsoft Office software tools, such as MS Project, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint, and Word, to be utilized in managing and reporting estimate throughput, status and manpower allocation.
- Certified Estimating Professional certification and/or Project Management Professional certification.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of project controls systems, earned value management systems, and cost engineering and estimating products, to include expert knowledge of Sage Estimating (Timberline) and Bluebeam.
- Experience working in the estimating field in the San Francisco Bay Area or other high-cost area.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now