Refine Search Clear All
Plant-Microbial Ecology for Bioenergy - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/18/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: None (however, assignments longer than 179 days require a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We are seeking Postdoctoral Researchers to join a team of researchers studying plant-microbial interactions for sustainable bioenergy and nutrient cycling, with an emphasis on rhizosphere and fungal-hyphosphere interactions. This research seeks to understand the fundamental mechanisms underpinning plant-associated symbioses and their biogeochemical effects. The project will involve cultivation of bioenergy plants and mycorrhizal fungi in soil under controlled laboratory conditions, incubating with stable isotope tracers, and conducting biogeochemical and molecular biology (metagenomics, transcriptomics, metabolomics) analyses. This opportunity is in the Environmental Isotope Systems group in the Nuclear and Chemicals Sciences (NACS) Division.
In this role you will
- Develop and pursue innovative research using 13C, 15N, and 18O stable isotope analyses combined with metagenomics and metatranscriptome molecular analysis.
- Analyze interactions between plants and microbial symbionts (fungal and bacterial) using microscopy (NanoSIMS, Raman, fluorescence).
- Contribute to the conception, design, and execution of research to address questions in sustainable bioenergy, soil carbon cycling, and plant-microbial interactions.
- Collaborate with other scientists and technical personnel.
- Perform independent research and lead new projects in the area of environmental microbiome research and isotope-enabled methods development.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- PhD in Microbial Ecology, Soil Ecology, Plant Biology, Microbiology or related field and demonstrated experience.
- Experience in designing, running, and analyzing data from plant or soil microbial ecology studies in either field or greenhouse settings.
- Experience with cultivation techniques for plant, fungal, or bacterial interactions studies.
- Experience with bioinformatics and statistical analyses of metabolic pathways, functional gene patterns and microbial community assembly.
- Publication record in the peer-reviewed literature reflecting intellectual leadership and scientific creativity
- Demonstrated ability as an independent and innovative experimentalist
- Significant experience in written and verbal communication skills necessary to independently deliver presentations and prepare written publications, and reports.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working with arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi is highly desired.
- Experience analyzing ‘omics datasets (metagenome, metatranscriptome, metaproteome, or metabolomics).
- Experience with stable isotope probing techniques (e.g., SIP) or rhizosphere microscopy.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
None required. However, if your assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification process. This process includes completing an online background investigation form and receiving approval of the background check. (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.) For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.