Refine Search Clear All
Senior Mechanical Engineer- NIF&PS
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Senior Mechanical Engineers. You will provide engineering solutions for the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science (NIF&PS) Directorate and its associated Programs to enable scientific exploration of the frontiers in fusion ignition, national security, astrophysics, materials science, nuclear science, and other scientific disciplines. You will contribute to conceptual design, systems engineering, manufacturing, assembly, analysis, optics engineering, precision engineering, and operations. These positions are in the Laser Science Engineering Organization (LSEO), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Provide advanced technical expertise in complex mechanical and electromechanical design.
- Conduct in-depth analysis of and advanced research in structural, thermal, hydraulic, or dynamics modeling of mechanical systems.
- Produce advanced conceptual and detail designs in support of on-going projects.
- Prepare supporting health and safety documentation that is aligned with the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) requirement and participate in design and Management Prestart Reviews.
- Generate and communicate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Ensure alignment of project interfaces and deployment through collaboration with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory while working independently and under minimum direction.
- Lead and/or provide guidance and technical direction to multidisciplinary project teams in a growing, dynamic environment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 Level
- Set broad project vision and strategy and influence technical direction for self and others, utilizing highly advanced knowledge and skills.
- Provide subject matter expertise in highly complex mechanical design and analysis.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and prior relevant experience.
- Advanced knowledge and significant experience in complex mechanical design.
- Significant experience in complex prototype development and testing, as well as hardware design and analysis.
- Ability to devise solutions for unique and complex problems in situations that may not be well defined.
- Ability and flexibility to reprioritize and change programmatic direction depending on emergent requests and in collaboration with a variety of multidisciplinary teams.
- Significant experience in managing, overseeing, and delivering multiple projects on budget and schedule.
- Ability to lead, manage, and mentor junior team members.
- Advanced communication skills with proven ability to present complex concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff members.
Additional qualifications at the SES.4 level
- Expertise in highly complex mechanical design and analysis and substantial experience in project planning and highly complex technical leadership.
- Substantial experience developing and implementing creative solutions to a diverse range of highly complex problems that may be frequently not well defined and leading corrective actions where necessary.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or external sponsors and proven record of team building and conflict resolution.
Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field.
- Advanced knowledge of systems engineering principles and practices and their application.
- Advanced knowledge of project management and leadership.
- Experience working in an environment with stringent safety and security policies.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.