Refine Search Clear All
Code Developer - Computational Solid Mechanics
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for Code Developers. You will create or adapt state-of-the-art computational mechanics algorithms, ensure the fidelity and performance of their implementation, and support their usage by multiple teams on demanding classes of problems. These positions are in the Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering Directorate. CED provides support to Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Programs.
In this role you will
- Create or identify state-of-the-art computational mechanics algorithms that extend modeling capabilities, implement as software suitable for high-performance computers, and document their verification.
- Establish expertise in using one or more finite-element based simulation tools such as ParaDyn or Diablo.
- Evaluate algorithms for current and future problem classes, developing a body of experience with which to guide users and establish strategies for future improvements.
- Proactively interact with users to assess software performance and provide solutions for moderately complex issues of modeling or software errors.
- Adapt software development and QA practices and contribute to their continuous improvement.
- Document efforts in technical reports, publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results at scientific meetings and conferences.
- Contribute to technical practices and mechanical and structural systems with internal and external collaborators.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in engineering or computational mechanics required, preferably with an emphasis in solids
- Comprehensive knowledge of computational mechanics, in particular the theory and application of finite element methods for nonlinear solid and structural mechanics and/or the mechanics of materials
- Proficiency in C/C++ or Fortran programming.
- Comprehensive knowledge in at least one of the following topical areas: advanced spatial discretization for large deformation response, advanced representations of nonlinear response for metals or other material classes, coupled multi-physics simulation, including thermal-structural and/or fluid-structural interaction.
- Experience conducing independent research.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Ability to travel.
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with computational mechanics methods especially the finite element method
- Experience with software implementations on parallel systems and heterogenous architectures
- Knowledge of constitutive model development for traditional and non-traditional solids
- Proficiency in Fortran
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now