Refine Search Clear All
Cyber Counterintelligence Officer - Active Security Clearance Required
Security | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Organization: Office of the Director
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE L or Q clearance (or active Secret or Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
The LLNL Counterintelligence (CI) Program has an immediate opening for a Cyber Counterintelligence Officer to perform research and conduct cybersecurity threat assessments, develop protective technologies, and analyze government computer networks while working on a national counterintelligence team committed to the protection of Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory’s (LLNL) employees and cutting-edge technologies, in support of LLNL’s national security missions. This position is in Counterintelligence within the Director’s Office.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Adapt tools for applying standard cybersecurity and analysis practices to the CI mission.
- Support, and maintain multi-platforms, including Splunk, Nagios, Solar Winds and other performance/monitoring technologies and utilize tools to monitor and support systems.
- Evaluate technical cyber intelligence and structured and unstructured data to identify malicious and foreign cyber threats targeting government personnel, technologies, and networks.
- Research and analyze complex cyber events, vulnerabilities, and foreign threat actors.
- Report changes, trends, and implications of evolving CI-cyber issues and make them actionable and useful to Intelligence Community (IC) partners and leadership.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 Level
- Deploy new tools or techniques for advancing threat analysis capabilities.
- Serve as liaison and work cyber investigations with CI analysts and interagency partners.
- Identify, investigate, and author reports regarding complex cyber events, vulnerabilities, and foreign threat actors.
- Serve as point of contact in the computer science and information technology space to provide capabilities to the CI team.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. Also, you must have the ability to obtain and maintain Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access. Please note that your current active Q or Top Secret clearance with DOE or another agency does not guarantee DOE SCI access approval; if you are denied access, you may be subject to reinvestigation of your existing Q or Top Secret clearance.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of industry best practices regarding network protocols.
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies: Splunk, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, Puppet/Chef or equivalent, Nagios, RHEL 7 and REHL 8, RHN Satellite, PKI authentications, Active Directory, Scripting, GIT, BIND, DNS, Perl, CSH/BASH, or PowerShell.
- Ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with conflicting priorities, to approach difficult problems with creativity, and to work independently.
- Experience providing effective customer support in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
- Effective verbal, written, and interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary team environment and explain technical information.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.2 Level
- Proficient analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Experience addressing complex cyber security or computer forensics topics.
- Substantial experience with software engineering tools and techniques such as compilers, malware/software analysis, reverse engineering, cryptography, red-teaming, and/or systems programming.
Qualifications We Desire
- Federal level certification/training in investigations and/or forensic analysis.
- Knowledge of investigative skills, to include case documentation, preservation of evidence, interviewing techniques, and liaison experience with other government agencies.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or Q-level clearance or an active Secret or Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.