Refine Search Clear All
Nondestructive Evaluation - Postdoctoral Researcher
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers in the Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE) Group. You will apply experimental tools and analytical methods to understand structure and properties of topologically complex and heterogeneous components. Relevant characterization modes include microwave and low-frequency electromagnetic interrogation (eddy current, electrical impedance tomography), ultrasound (including laser-based ultrasound), x-ray imaging and computed tomography, and optical imaging techniques including holography and speckle interferometry. You will perform independent research in support of existing dynamic projects and assist with the development of new projects and capabilities. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the following areas: microwave and low-frequency electromagnetic characterization (including eddy current, electrical impedance tomography), ultrasound (including laser-based ultrasound), x-ray imaging and computed tomography, and optical imaging techniques including holography and speckle interferometry.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the above areas.
- Organize, analyze, and present data from research.
- Simulate characterization results with finite element, ray tracing and Monte Carlo codes; analyze data with signal processing tools, apply machine learning algorithms; reconstruct image data for computed tomography.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of engineers and scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Materials Engineering or related field.
- Experience with one or more of the following areas: microwave and low-frequency electromagnetic characterization (including eddy current, electrical impedance tomography), ultrasound (including laser-based ultrasound), x-ray imaging and computed tomography, and optical imaging techniques including holography and speckle interferometry.
- Ability to work as an innovative experimentalist with experience in experimental design, techniques, and execution; or experience with signal processing, machine learning, modeling or data analysis including reconstruction for computed tomography.
- Ability to develop independent research projects including publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with low-frequency electromagnetic characterization (including eddy current, electrical impedance tomography) and finite element simulations.
- Experience with x-ray imaging, including absorption, phase, coherent and incoherent scatter.
- Experience with experimental acoustics, laser-based ultrasound, DAQ instrumentation, especially ultrasonic array signal processing and finite element simulations.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now