Refine Search Clear All
Dynamic High Pressure Physics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Postdoctoral/Fellowship | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: PDS.1 Post-Dr Research Staff 1
Organization: Physical and Life Sciences
Position Type: Post Doctoral
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have multiple openings for Postdoctoral Researchers to conduct experimental studies of Richtmyer-Meshkov instability (RMI) phenomena in solids under dynamic compression, including the development of new novel diagnostic capabilities. You will actively participate in research aimed at studying the controlling processes that lead to RMI growth at state-of-the-art platforms such as powder and gas guns at LLNL, the Dynamic Compression Sector at Argonne National Laboratory, pRad at LANL, Laser shock platforms, and similar venues. The positions will focus on garnering insight into RMI-related mechanisms spanning from the incipient-growth, micro- to late-stage, macro-scale stages utilizing state-of-the-art diagnostics, including in situ time-resolved imagery and velocimetry. The expectation is that one position is likely to emphasize the science at the early stages whereas the second position the late phases of RMI development. These positions are in the Material Dynamics and Kinetics group of the Materials Science Division.
In this role you will
- Conduct research to understand the fundamental processes that lead to Richtmyer-Meshkov instability from the early to late stages of growth.
- Explore existing and possibly develop new approaches to obtain real-time insight, ranging from time-resolved optical and x-ray imagery to utilizing various dynamic compression methods including powder gun platforms and high-explosive drives that can address a wide variety of sample geometries and sizes.
- Utilize and possibly improve upon existing analytical tools to analyze data. Work closely with the parallel hydrodynamics simulation effort in this research program to design experiments, analyze data, and constrain the fundamental physics models used in simulations.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Pursue independent but complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals.
- Maintain and establish laboratory protocols.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- PhD in chemistry, materials science, engineering, mathematics, physics or a related field.
- Experience in some of the following areas: dynamic compression techniques such as in powder or gas gun approaches, laser-based shock techniques, and large-scale facility research such as at synchrotrons.
- A proven scientific background in materials science and solid-state physics that is focused on dynamic high-pressure physics.
- Ability as an innovative experimentalist with a broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques and execution.
- Ability to develop independent research projects through publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills as reflected in effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching lectures.
- Initiative and interpersonal skills with desire and ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working in a highly multidisciplinary team working towards a common scientific goal.
- Experience in implementing research projects at national-level facilities.
- Knowledge in fluid dynamics.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are those who have been awarded a PhD at time of hire date.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.