Refine Search Clear All
Software Engineer - CASTLE
Information Technology/Computing | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science & Engineering MTS 4
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Active DOE Q clearance (or active Top Secret clearance)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the Laboratory’s mission.
We have an opening for a Software Engineer to support the Collaborative Authorization for the Safety-basis Total Lifecycle Environment (CASTLE-PX) Project. CASTLE-PX is Risk Level 2 Safety Software, requiring a high-level of rigor to maintain SQA compliance. It is a web-based, custom java application deployed at Pantex and is being used to manage the safety-bases for weapon systems, site facilities, as well as several processes. Working with a dynamic multi-disciplinary team of software developers, software quality engineers, and IT staff, your primary responsibilities will be to contribute to the application development, perform production support, test new releases, and help maintain the large volume of SQA support documents. This position is in the Applications, Simulations, and Quality (ASQ) Division within the Computation Directorate, in support of the CASTLE Project within the Weapon Technologies Engineering (WTE) Program.
This position will be filled at the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain a web-based software system using object-oriented analysis, design, and programming techniques.
- Participate in the requirements definition, analysis, design, implementation, debugging, testing, and optimization of the software system.
- Collaborate with a small, multi-disciplinary team and use independent judgement to rapidly respond to operational requirements.
- Participate in application development and code reviews.
- Develop and maintain SQA documentation, which is reviewed and updated as needed with each new production release.
- Provide advanced technical knowledge in the use of version control systems (Git) and branch management.
- Ensure application compatibility and support complex application interactions in partnership with other software development teams.
- Provides solutions to complex problems that require in-depth analysis of tangible and intangible factors and the creative use of established and/or innovative methods.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.4 Level
- Collaborate with a large cross-site, multi-disciplinary team of managers, engineers, and developers to determine the current and future focus of the project.
- Communicate regularly with stakeholders regarding status, needs, progress, and plans.
- Provide leadership and support to the application team, engaging in continuous improvement of end-to-end processes.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top-Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and relevant previous experience in a security discipline(s).
- Advanced knowledge and experience implementing server-side web applications using JSF or similar framework.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Oracle databases including SQL scripts.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with web services.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage concurrent technical tasks with competing priorities and meet deadlines that are important to project success.
- Advanced level experience using software configuration management tools (preferably the Atlassian Suite of JIRA, Confluence, & Bitbucket) with an emphasized focus in the use of issue tracking.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills and effective interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel, collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment, and assist in the maintenance of SQA documentation.
Additional Qualifications at the SES.4 Level
- Significant experience with Oracle databases including writing complex SQL scripts.
- Expert communication, facilitation, collaboration and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with all levels of personnel, collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary environment, and lead a small team of software developers.
Qualifications We Desire
- Exceptional relationship building, collaboration and communication skills with a proven ability to interpret customer requests to develop system requirements.
- Expert knowledge of web services and XML data formats.
- Experience developing web application user-interfaces / user-experiences and best practices
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S. government agency at time of hire. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now