Refine Search Clear All
Research Support Engineer (Mechanical & Materials)
Engineering | livermore, CA | 02/06/2022
Job Code: SES.1 Science & Engineering MTS 1 / SES.2 Science & Engineering MTS 2
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S. citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: Not applicable
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the United States’ security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Mechanical and Materials Engineers to perform research, development, and application activities in support of Laboratory missions. You will support R&D activities in Advanced Materials and Manufacturing, Materials Processing and Characterization, Microelectronics, BioEngineering and Precision Systems. These positions are in the Materials Engineering Division (MED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role, you will
- Work under general direction to research and contribute to the development of advanced mechanical, thermal, fluidic, optical, laser, electronic and/or biological systems for various applications.
- Collaborate with other team members in the design, implementation, and qualification of cutting-edge R&D systems.
- Conduct experiments and/or perform end-to-end modeling of novel system designs utilizing well defined parameters.
- Work closely with engineers, technicians, and integration experts from LLNL and its sponsors in all aspects of system development.
- Contribute to project/program milestone completion and provide solutions to problems of limited complexity using standard techniques and methodologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 Level
- Document development activities, write reports, and deliver design reviews and project briefings.
- Under limited direction, define and prioritize moderately complex to complex tasks and goals to ensure project needs are addressed in a timely and efficient manner.
- Work independently and with teams to solve moderately complex to complex problems that require analysis and creative use of broadly defined techniques and methods.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge in one or more of the following: engineering hardware design, systems engineering, manufacturing techniques, testing processes.
- Fundamental knowledge of and/or experience with design principles.
- Fundamental knowledge of material properties and manufacturing methods.
- Experience working effectively in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition at the SES.2 Level
- Experience performing independent work with technical objectives and ability to meet schedule and deliverables for multiple concurrent projects with a range of priorities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of engineering hardware design, fabrication, or testing processes and concepts and ability to demonstrate full competency.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and previous relevant experience.
- Experience working in an environment with stringent safety and security policies.
Additional InformationAll your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
COVID-19 Vaccination Mandate
LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires including those who will be working on site, as well as those who will be teleworking.
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.Apply Now